Re: Non standard ports leads to grey screen

Re: Non standard ports leads to grey screen

Constantin Kaplinsky
Hello Gareth,

> Can anybody confirm that it works on their PC if they specify non
> standard ports as below? I'm just trying to narrow down if it's my
> setup or a general tightvnc problem.

I've just verified that it works on my Fedora 5. I used exactly the same
command:

   vncserver -rfbport 1026 -httpport 8080 :1

It opened Gnome session. The only issue was a warning window with
something like "ESC is already running". I guess ESC is something that
does not like running in multiple instances.

Is that possible that there are some problems with the ~/.vnc/xstartup
file?

Re: Non standard ports leads to grey screen

Constantin Kaplinsky

> I've just verified that it works on my Fedora 5.

Oops, there is a typo. It was Fedora Core 6.

Re: Non standard ports leads to grey screen

Gareth Peters
Thanks for the below Constantin, I guess it's something I've configured wrongly then.  I've set up two users to try and solve the problem, their respective xstartup files are as follows.  I will attempt a fresh reinstall over the weekend to see if that solves anything.

BOF
#!/bin/sh

# Red Hat Linux VNC session startup script
#
unset SESSION_MANAGER
exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

# Another example of setting up desktop environment
#
# [ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup
# [ -r /.Xresources ] && xrdb /.Xresources
# xsetroot -solid grey
# vncconfig -iconic &
# xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title " Desktop" &
# twm &
EOF

BOF
#!/bin/sh

unset SESSION_MANAGER
exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

[ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup
[ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
vncconfig -iconic &
xterm -geometry 1024x768 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
exec gnome-session
EOF

> Can anybody confirm that it works on their PC if they specify non
> standard ports as below? I'm just trying to narrow down if it's my
> setup or a general tightvnc problem.

I've just verified that it works on my Fedora 5. I used exactly the same
command:

   vncserver -rfbport 1026 -httpport 8080 :1

It opened Gnome session. The only issue was a warning window with
something like "ESC is already running". I guess ESC is something that
does not like running in multiple instances.

Is that possible that there are some problems with the ~/.vnc/xstartup
file?

Re: Non standard ports leads to grey screen

Gareth Peters
For anyone with the same issue, it was resolved by uninstalling, updating to Fedora 7 and then reinstalling.

Thanks to everyone who considered my problem.

Gareth

> Can anybody confirm that it works on their PC if they specify non
> standard ports as below? I'm just trying to narrow down if it's my
> setup or a general tightvnc problem.

I've just verified that it works on my Fedora 5. I used exactly the same
command:

   vncserver -rfbport 1026 -httpport 8080 :1

It opened Gnome session. The only issue was a warning window with
something like "ESC is already running". I guess ESC is something that
does not like running in multiple instances.

Is that possible that there are some problems with the ~/.vnc/xstartup
file?

Inbox full of unwanted email? Get leading protection and 1GB storage with All New Yahoo! Mail.