RFB server supports protocol version 3.130

RFB server supports protocol version 3.130

Braunstein, Alan
Hello,

I hate to bother everyone with a problem that is probaby old, but it's new to me and I couldn't find this in the archives.

I have a Solaris 8 system (I know, move to Linux ;-). On this system I have TightVNC Server v1.3dev1, protocol 3.130. I can connect to this with the Windows version of TightVNC viewer v1.2.9.0.

But, when I try to connect with Windows TightVNC viewer v1.3.9.0, I get this in the log file:
Connected to jaaazzz port 5901
RFB server supports protocol version 3.130
Connected to RFB server, using protocol version 3.8
I never get prompted for a password, it just sits there ...
Connecting to jaaazzz:1 ...
                [Hide]
 ... until I kill the VNCserver on Solaris.

On the server's log file ($HOME/.vnc/Jaaazzz:1.log), I get:
<datestamp> Got connection from client 192.168.1.11
<datestamp> Protocol version 3.8
<datestamp> Ignoring minor version mismatch

Finally, I cannot compile - for reasons I do not know - the latest TightVNC on my Solaris machine. Is there a place where I can get TightVNC compiled for Solaris 8, at worst case?

Thanks!
-APB

Re: RFB server supports protocol version 3.130

Constantin Kaplinsky
Hello Alan,

> I have a Solaris 8 system (I know, move to Linux ;-). On this system
> I have TightVNC Server v1.3dev1, protocol 3.130. I can connect to
> this with the Windows version of TightVNC viewer v1.2.9.0.

The protocol 3.130 was an experimental feature which appeared in
TightVNC 1.3dev1 only (development version). Then its support was
dropped and so it did not ever appear in stable versions.

Protocol 3.130 does not comply with the official RFB specification and
breaks normal RFB protocol interoperability. Due to such compatibility
problems, such protocol variation should not be ever used. That means
TightVNC 1.3dev1 should not be used as well.

> Finally, I cannot compile - for reasons I do not know - the latest
> TightVNC on my Solaris machine. Is there a place where I can get
> TightVNC compiled for Solaris 8, at worst case?

I have a Solaris 8 machine, but frankly I did not try to compile Xvnc on
it. I will try to do that when I'll have some spare time, but I cannot
guarantee it would be done in the nearest days.

RE: RFB server supports protocol version 3.130

Braunstein, Alan
I tried to obtain the ThinLinc items sent my way, but that didn't work.
I would up downloading the latest RealVNC binaries for Solaris 7, replaced my binaries, and it's working fine with my TightVNC viewer of v1.3.9.

Sygate/Symantec Personal Firewall

Braunstein, Alan
OK ...

My company instituted Symantec Protection Agent (aka: Sygate Personal Firewall). Now I cannot VNC from my personal PC to my corporate laptop as I used to. AND, they've locked this software down so I cannot add/alter how SPA/SPF deals with the TightVNC server.

Now, there is a known issue with Oracle's Listener with this firewall, and the solution was to add a string to the registry, in the appropriate Oracle folder(s) of USE_SHARED_SOCKET set to TRUE.

So, is there some sort of registry entry I can add that will get TightVNC's server to work with this p.i.t.a. SPA/SPF software?

Thanks!