RE: tightvnc

Gunther Clasen

Hi,

I started the server with

# vncserver

then connected to it (from the same machine) with

# vncviewer

Probably that wasn’t the right thing to do. The server did start and the viewer did connect. Only the display manager was something no same person would possibly want to use. (Couldn’t even find the exit button.) It certainly wasn’t KDE and KDE I would like to have.

This is how it works for RealVNC. I’m by no means saying that this is how it has to work, but I could not find any information on what I should do. Please tell me and I’m happy to try.

Perhaps it wasn’t tightvnc which I started. Don’t think it was realvnc either, as it clearly didn’t read realvnc’s config file.

Cheers

Gunther

RE: tightvnc

Gunther Clasen
Hi,

it uses the next available number, so it does indeed connect with
vncviewer :1

The problem is the server. I run opensuse 11.4 and I need to start up the server with KDE. How do I do that please???

Cheers
Gunther

From: Gunther Clasen <[hidden email]>
To: Bhaskar Babu <[hidden email]>
Date sent: Wed, 5 Mar 2014 23:44:54 +0000
Copies to: "[hidden email]"
        <[hidden email]>

>     Hi,
>
>     I started the server with
>     # vncserver
>     then connected to it (from the same machine) with
>     # vncviewer

Not sure what you are doing?
Generally, when you start server with a screen number.

vncserver :10

Then vncviewer would be.
vncviewer 127.0.0.1:10

Which Linux are you using?

Re: tightvnc

Michael D. Setzer II

From:           Gunther Clasen <[hidden email]>
To:             "Michael D. Setzer II" <[hidden email]>
Date sent:       Thu, 6 Mar 2014 12:34:54 +0000
Copies to:       "[hidden email]"
        <[hidden email]>

> Hi,
>
> it uses the next available number, so it does indeed connect with
> vncviewer :1
>
> The problem is the server. I run opensuse 11.4 and I need to start up
> the server with KDE. How do I do that please???
>
> Cheers
> Gunther

I would check what you have in you .vnc directory in the xstartup file.

I use Fedora, and generally use the xfce for the connection, and it requires
some modifications to the xstartup file.

Found one that talked about suse and kde.

#!/bin/sh

#xrdb $HOME/.Xresources #I have no .Xresources file
xsetroot -solid grey
xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
exec startkde

  Michael D. Setzer II -  Computer Science Instructor
  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:[hidden email]
  mailto:[hidden email]
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins
  G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu (Original)
Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
Processing time:  32 years, 290 days, 12 hours, 58 minutes
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC@HOME CREDITS
ROSETTA     12141415.959811   |   SETI        20726463.171548
ABC         16613838.513356   |   EINSTEIN    18780302.057648