Question on reconnecting to dropped session

Question on reconnecting to dropped session

Peter Ehatt

I had a connection to a linux machine via vnc from my workstation. I was running a gui interface within that session, but we took a power outage and my workstation rebooted. The session is still running in linux, I need to reconnect to that specific session however I have not figured out a method. Any help would be much appreciated. Best regards, Peter

Re: Question on reconnecting to dropped session

Arfin Greebly

Peter,

Let me see if I understand:

You have a session, an instance of VNC server, running on a Linux box.

When you connected to this instance of VNC server, you probably used a
connection request to something like 98.76.54.32:1 (where the format is
the IP address of the Linux box, followed by a colon, and then the
"display number" of your session), or possibly the longer format of
98.76.54.32::5901, where the number after the pair of colons is the full
port number of the session.  Alternatively, you might have used a domain
specification, as my.linuxbox.net:1 or my.linuxbox.net::5901 or, if the
box is on your local network, linuxbox:1 or linuxbox::5901.

In any case, whichever form of the connection specification you used, that
same session should still be listening on the same port.  You should
simply be able to launch the VNC viewer and enter that same connection
spec, and you will be reconnected to exactly the same session from which
you were disconnected.

I do this all the time.

I have a virtual session running on my own workstation (Ubuntu Linux).
When I want to connect to it from my workstation, I simply issue a connect
request to "localhost:22" (the display number of my session is 22).  When
I want to reach that same session from home, I simply connect to the box
using its alias (officework) as "officework::5922" and I can pick up right
where I left off, monitor test processes, fix things, and resume at my
desk the next morning.

I have a server (Centos Linux) at home that has a VNC session running as
myhomedomain.net:33, which I use to monitor my personal mail (as I'm doing
now).  When I'm finished for the time being, I simply disconnect, and I
can reconnect from somewhere else in the house (as ourserverbox:33) or
from the server itself (as localhost:33).  All I have to do is hit the
same box and the same display number, and I'm in the same session.

The base port for a default VNC server installation is 5900, and when you
specify a display (line :15) VNC knows it has to add the base port to
that, so it really uses the full port spec of ::5915.  The alternate port,
on which the VNC server will serve its browser-based Java client, is 5800,
so that in a browser you can navigate to linxboxdomain.net:5815 to reach
the same session.  Notice that when using the VNC viewer binary, a full
port spec is ::portnum, whereas in the browser, it's :portnum (only the
single colon).

What happens when you try to reconnect to that linux machine?  Are you
specifying a display number or full port spec?

~~ Garry