Question on java viewer and color/cursor resolution

Question on java viewer and color/cursor resolution

Damien MASCRE
Hi,

I am adapting the java viewer in order to access
windows/linux desktops in a farm of virtual machines,
and locking down the interface so that the user do not
mess with the options.

I am also looking for all the bottlenecks in terms of
performance and lighten the bandwidth usage of the vnc
protocol.

I have some questions concerning the viewer :

1. Actually, even if the server is 16-bit color desktop,
the java request a 24-bit pixel encoding when we don't explicitly
use an 8-bit color depth. Is a true 15/16 bit
color depth resolution planned/conceivable in the java viewer ??

2. It seems the ignore cursor shape option on the client
does not really disable the sending of the cursor shape
messages from the server, but simply ignores them instead.
Is the hacking of the vnc server to disable the sending
of the cursor shapes updates when the client does not
advertise the XCursor or RichCursor capabilities viable ??

I am willing to work on such things if it is acceptable.

Thanks,

Damien MASCRE
Universite Paris 13

Re: Question on java viewer and color/cursor resolution

Constantin Kaplinsky
Hello Damien,

> I have some questions concerning the viewer :
>
> 1. Actually, even if the server is 16-bit color desktop,
> the java request a 24-bit pixel encoding when we don't explicitly
> use an 8-bit color depth. Is a true 15/16 bit
> color depth resolution planned/conceivable in the java viewer ??

Support for arbitrary color depths is not planned. 24-bit pixels are
easier to compress and easier to process in general. 16-bit pixels are
less "compressible" so reducing color depth would not save much bandwidth.

> 2. It seems the ignore cursor shape option on the client
> does not really disable the sending of the cursor shape
> messages from the server, but simply ignores them instead.
> Is the hacking of the vnc server to disable the sending
> of the cursor shapes updates when the client does not
> advertise the XCursor or RichCursor capabilities viable ??

If neither XCursor nor RichCursor are supported by the client, then the
server will send cursor updates as a part of normal framebuffer updates.
Currently, there is no way to make the server disable cursor updates
completely.

> I am willing to work on such things if it is acceptable.

Currently, we are not accepting patches. We are re-organizing the
TightVNC project.

By the way, thank you for pointing out the problem with ignoring cursor
shape in 24-bit mode. I've applied the fix the the source and it will be
included in TightVNC 1.3.10 (to be released today).