Qt and Opengl

12

Qt and Opengl

Michael Gericke
Hello,

I am running a simulation program which uses qt and opengl for
visualization on a local machine.
When I use tightvnc from a remote machine and run the visualization, I
can see the interface (which
uses qt), but none of the simulation data/geometry, which uses opengl,
shows up. Is there some
sort of config setting I need to change to make tightvnc work with
opengl, or similar?

Thanks,

Michael

Is TightVNC dead?

Mark Foley
Wow this is the least active list I've subscribed to. Are there really not that
many people interested in VNC? Seem like with tele-commuting all the rage there
should be a lot of interest.

How about some info on resources? Is there a place to report bugs for TightVNC?
Is there a place to report issues with x11vnc? A listserve for x11vnc? Likewise
such resources for ssvnc?

Has development on these VNC tools generally stopped? If so, I'd rather not use
something that will get more obsolescent as time goes on. Perhaps I'll redirect
my efforts to RealVNC or some other product.

Thoughts? Opinions?

--Mark

Re: Is TightVNC dead?

Jerry Wetherholt
mark maybe yiu sould ask why is list dead? maybe it had issues on server or something if that nature instead of bashing you frustrations out in open. easier to ask question than to be very agressive towards list and strangers

jerry

Sent from my iPhone

> On Nov 17, 2015, at 5:04 PM, Mark Foley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Wow this is the least active list I've subscribed to. Are there really not that
> many people interested in VNC? Seem like with tele-commuting all the rage there
> should be a lot of interest.
>
> How about some info on resources? Is there a place to report bugs for TightVNC?
> Is there a place to report issues with x11vnc? A listserve for x11vnc? Likewise
> such resources for ssvnc?
>
> Has development on these VNC tools generally stopped? If so, I'd rather not use
> something that will get more obsolescent as time goes on. Perhaps I'll redirect
> my efforts to RealVNC or some other product.
>
> Thoughts? Opinions?
>
> --Mark

Re: Is TightVNC dead?

Dave Ihnat
On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 06:04:24PM -0500, Mark Foley wrote:
> Wow this is the least active list I've subscribed to. Are there really
> not that many people interested in VNC? Seem like with tele-commuting
> all the rage there should be a lot of interest.

I think, rather, it's a fairly mature technology at this point, with a
large embedded base.  New releases are few and infrequent.  There may be
issues and features people might like, but interoperability with other
versions of VNC does constrain many modifications.  Since this list is
for tightVNC specifically, silence here should generally be taken as an
indication that, by and large, people aren't having problems and don't
have requests.  As for general information, documentation, and guidance,
the website is pretty decent and will answer most questions.

For what it's worth, I do occasionally see requests on the list
for assistance, and when there are new releases--the last being
2.7.10.0--there is an announcement.

Cheers,
--
        Dave Ihnat

Re: Is TightVNC dead?

Matthew Kozak
I second this notion.  It's not that it is dead, but that it just simply works, and works as advertised/expected.  For a while now, this list is primarily used for the errant client/firewall/port configuration issues individuals may have, but many of us are here and listening.  The product/project itself is mature and stable, which is a great thing.

Welcome!
-Matt

On Nov 18, 2015, at 8:38 AM, Dave Ihnat <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 06:04:24PM -0500, Mark Foley wrote:
>> Wow this is the least active list I've subscribed to. Are there really
>> not that many people interested in VNC? Seem like with tele-commuting
>> all the rage there should be a lot of interest.
>
> I think, rather, it's a fairly mature technology at this point, with a
> large embedded base.  New releases are few and infrequent.  There may be
> issues and features people might like, but interoperability with other
> versions of VNC does constrain many modifications.  Since this list is
> for tightVNC specifically, silence here should generally be taken as an
> indication that, by and large, people aren't having problems and don't
> have requests.  As for general information, documentation, and guidance,
> the website is pretty decent and will answer most questions.
>
> For what it's worth, I do occasionally see requests on the list
> for assistance, and when there are new releases--the last being
> 2.7.10.0--there is an announcement.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Dave Ihnat

Re: Is TightVNC dead?

Mark Foley
My apologies for expressing my frustration. Yes, I've been frustrated. I've had
other private responses to this message with most people saying everything works
just fine for them, mature product, etc. I understand low list traffic being
relatied to a lack of problems, which is good. At the same time, I'm not getting

My problem is everything doesn't work just fine for me which is why I turned to
this list for help.  Perhaps it's the combination of tools I'm using.  Perhaps no
one knows the answer.  I've posted questions, but have not received much
feedback.  I will restate my issues here and hopefully people with knowledge
about these things can help.

My setup is using TightVNC viewer 2.7.10 on Windows 7 via ssvnc 1.0.30 to
connect to x11vnc server 0.9.13 on Ubuntu 14.04.

1.  As 'Terry' pointed out, ssvnc and x11vnc are by a different author
(http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc/ssvnc.html).  In the end, these products may be
where my issues are, but I cannot find anywhere to ask questions, report bugs,
etc. for these tools.  I've sent Mr. Runge an email directly, but no response.
Does anyone have any idea where I can get support for x11vnc and ssvnc? Perhaps
it is Karl Runge who has lost interest in maintaining these tools and I need to
find other solutions.

2.  With my configuration, I've found that about 60% of the time the parenthesis
keys auto-repeat -- and only those keys.  If I type a ')' I can expect my line
to fill with those keys until I press another key.  This may be a problem with
x11vnc.  Has anyone else experienced this problem? If people on this list are
not using x11vnc as the server, what are you using?

How do you handle secure connections?

3.  Where are config settings for TightVNC viewer kept on Windows? Whenever I
start tightVNC through ssvnc I have to set my scaling, full-screen mode and
local cursor every time.  I can save the settings, but they are never reloaded.
If I start tightVNC standalone (no ssvnc) my settings are remembered.  I need to
understand where tighVNC is looking for these settings so I can go there and fix
this problem.

Objective: I am experimenting with this in preparation for potentially getting
rid of Windows at the office (due to security issues with Windows 10) and using
Ubuntu workstations instead.  Staff is currently able to log into their Windows
workstations from home using Remote Desktop Connection.  I am looking at VNC to
replace RDC when their work computer is Ubuntu.  The problem is that I cannot
expect non-technical users to redo their viewer settings each time they connect,
nor could they live with repeating parentheses keys.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

--Mark

> From: Jerry Wetherholt <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: Is TightVNC dead?
> Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2015 19:21:15 -0600
> To: [hidden email]
>
> mark maybe yiu sould ask why is list dead? maybe it had issues on server or
> something if that nature instead of bashing you frustrations out in open.
> easier to ask question than to be very agressive towards list and strangers
>
> jerry
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Nov 17, 2015, at 5:04 PM, Mark Foley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Wow this is the least active list I've subscribed to. Are there really not that
> > many people interested in VNC? Seem like with tele-commuting all the rage there
> > should be a lot of interest.
> >
> > How about some info on resources? Is there a place to report bugs for TightVNC?
> > Is there a place to report issues with x11vnc? A listserve for x11vnc? Likewise
> > such resources for ssvnc?
> >
> > Has development on these VNC tools generally stopped? If so, I'd rather not use
> > something that will get more obsolescent as time goes on. Perhaps I'll redirect
> > my efforts to RealVNC or some other product.
> >
> > Thoughts? Opinions?
> >
> > --Mark

RE: Is TightVNC dead?

Alan Goldreich
In the words of the great sage, Archie Bunker...
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

TightVNC ain't broke.

ALAN J GOLDREICH, CPA, CA
DIRECTOR OF FINANCE
CONTINENT-WIDE GROUP OF COMPANIES
41 Bertal Road  -  Toronto Ontario M6M 4M7
4
E-Mail:
[hidden email]

Telephone:
(416) 762-8101 Ext 105   (800) 667-0293 Ext 105

Fax:
(416) 762-4278                (800) 667-4127

Web site:
http://www.continent-wide.com

WE THINK
GREEN.
We care about the environment.  Please recycle electrons to generate your e-mails; we do!

Incoming and Outgoing mail is certified Aveiras Free.  Checked by AVG Anti-Aveirahs

This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. Lots more fine print and gobbledygook that no one reads.  The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission

I second this notion.  It's not that it is dead, but that it just simply works, and works as advertised/expected.  For a while now, this list is primarily used for the errant client/firewall/port configuration issues individuals may have, but many of us are here and listening.  The product/project itself is mature and stable, which is a great thing.

Welcome!
-Matt

On Nov 18, 2015, at 8:38 AM, Dave Ihnat <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 06:04:24PM -0500, Mark Foley wrote:
>> Wow this is the least active list I've subscribed to. Are there
>> really not that many people interested in VNC? Seem like with
>> tele-commuting all the rage there should be a lot of interest.
>
> I think, rather, it's a fairly mature technology at this point, with a
> large embedded base.  New releases are few and infrequent.  There may
> be issues and features people might like, but interoperability with
> other versions of VNC does constrain many modifications.  Since this
> list is for tightVNC specifically, silence here should generally be
> taken as an indication that, by and large, people aren't having
> problems and don't have requests.  As for general information,
> documentation, and guidance, the website is pretty decent and will answer most questions.
>
> For what it's worth, I do occasionally see requests on the list for
> assistance, and when there are new releases--the last being
> 2.7.10.0--there is an announcement.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Dave Ihnat

RE: Is TightVNC dead?

John Serink
>My setup is using TightVNC viewer 2.7.10 on Windows 7 via ssvnc 1.0.30 to
>connect to x11vnc server 0.9.13 on Ubuntu 14.04.
What is ssvnc?

>How do you handle secure connections?
you tunnel TVNC inside an ssh tunnel.
if your server is on a windows box, use the TVNC installed as a service. Allow connections on local host and configure your freesshd to allow tunnels to local host and set the tunnels up.
if your server is on Linux, use TigerVNC, its being actively developed.

3.  Where are config settings for TightVNC viewer kept on Windows? Whenever I
start tightVNC through ssvnc I have to set my scaling, full-screen mode and
local cursor every time.
In the registry. Why not just start it from a batchfile with all the settings on the command line?
I don't understand what ssvnc is so can't help you with that.

> I can save the settings, but they are never reloaded.
If you save them to a windwos TVNC shortcut they should be in the shortcut, they get stored there.

>If I start tightVNC standalone (no ssvnc) my settings are remembered.
Then do it that way. use putty as your ssh client and call it all form a batch file.

Re: Is TightVNC dead?

Mark Foley
John - thanks a lot for your reply. See my comments below after your comments.

--Mark

ssvnc is the ssl tunnel program I am using; http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc/ssvnc.html

> >How do you handle secure connections?
> you tunnel TVNC inside an ssh tunnel.
> if your server is on a windows box, use the TVNC installed as a service. Allow connections on local host and configure your freesshd to allow tunnels to local host and set the tunnels up.
> if your server is on Linux, use TigerVNC, its being actively developed.

I am using Windows for the viewer and Linux for the server. As far as I can
tell, TightVNC viewer does not have ssl/ssh capability. That is why I am using
ssvnc to create the tunnel. What do you use if not ssvnc?

> 3.  Where are config settings for TightVNC viewer kept on Windows? Whenever I
> start tightVNC through ssvnc I have to set my scaling, full-screen mode and
> local cursor every time.
> In the registry. Why not just start it from a batchfile with all the settings on the command line?
> I don't understand what ssvnc is so can't help you with that.

As mentioned, ssvnc is the program to create the secure ssl tunnel. It launches
tightVNC (or other viewers) after creating the tunnel, but does not appear to
support command line options (I've tried). If I can set these in the registry
that would be just fine. However, the registry is a big animal and I can't
really just search through entries looking for TVNC settings. Can you tell me
what/where these settings are?

> > I can save the settings, but they are never reloaded.
> If you save them to a windwos TVNC shortcut they should be in the shortcut, they get stored there.

On the TVNC menu bar there is a 'floppy' icon which when hovered says, "Save
session to a .vnc file ...". When clicked it opens the 'My Documents' folder. I
save to myfile.vnc. But, when restarted it does not use these settings, nor is
there a corresponding 'Load' option on the TVNC menu bar.

> >If I start tightVNC standalone (no ssvnc) my settings are remembered.
> Then do it that way. use putty as your ssh client and call it all form a batch file.

That sounds like a viable option.  I use putty all the time.  Can you give me
more of a step-by-step? What would I put in the .bat file? Not sure where to
begin.

--Mark

RE: Is TightVNC dead?

John Serink
Hi Mark:

> What is ssvnc?
ssvnc is the ssl tunnel program I am using; http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc/ssvnc.html

What is wrong with using openssh or putty?
I use putty on linux when connecting to windows server boxes freesshd as an sshd and TVNC V2.XXX the lastes one.
The file looks like this:
#!/bin/bash
putty -load "theputtyprofilenamefor the sshconnection" -l username -pw password &
sleep 10
vncviewer QualityLevel=7 CompressLevel=5 localhost::5900 &

You can do similar from windows.

>I am using Windows for the viewer and Linux for the server. As far as I can
>tell, TightVNC viewer does not have ssl/ssh capability. That is why I am using
>ssvnc to create the tunnel. What do you use if not ssvnc?
Use putty and ssh.

>As mentioned, ssvnc is the program to create the secure ssl tunnel. It launches
>tightVNC (or other viewers) after creating the tunnel, but does not appear to
>support command line options (I've tried). If I can set these in the registry
>that would be just fine. However, the registry is a big animal and I can't
>really just search through entries looking for TVNC settings. Can you tell me
>what/where these settings are?
Why not use the ssvnc and call the TVNC shortcut and not TVNC?

>On the TVNC menu bar there is a 'floppy' icon which when hovered says, "Save
>session to a .vnc file ...". When clicked it opens the 'My Documents' folder. I
>save to myfile.vnc. But, when restarted it does not use these settings, nor is
>there a corresponding 'Load' option on the TVNC menu bar.
Of course it doesn't. You need to double clock on that myfile.vnc for it to use those settings. If you just start the VNC viewer, it starts empty.

There are many how-tos for using putty and VNC, just google.

Re: Is TightVNC dead?

Elmer_Duncan

Hello.

There are performance issues with win 8/10.

2.0.4 is stable.  2.7.x is slow.

E Duncan

Sent from my iPhone

wrote:

> In the words of the great sage, Archie Bunker...
> "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
>
> TightVNC ain't broke.
>
> ALAN J GOLDREICH, CPA, CA
> DIRECTOR OF FINANCE
> CONTINENT-WIDE GROUP OF COMPANIES
> 41 Bertal Road  -  Toronto Ontario M6M 4M7
> 4
> E-Mail:
> [hidden email]
>

> Telephone:
> (416) 762-8101 Ext 105   (800) 667-0293 Ext 105
> �{
> Fax:
> (416) 762-4278                (800) 667-4127
>
> Web site:
> http://www.continent-wide.com
>
> ��
>

> WE THINK
> GREEN.
> We care about the environment.  Please recycle electrons to generate your
e-mails; we do!

> Incoming and Outgoing mail is certified Aveiras Free.  Checked by AVG
Anti-Aveirahs

the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not
delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be
guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted,
corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses.
Lots more fine print and gobbledygook that no one reads.  The sender
contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission

Re: Is TightVNC dead?

Russell Reagan
Only my opinion, but VNC is not in the same ballpark as Microsoft's Remote Desktop Services or similar products (Citrix, etc). VNC has its place, typically more in remote administration of Linux/Mac or remote controlling PCs for desktop support. RDS is built for application delivery even over slow connections. VNC is fine for quick system administration activities, but if I had to use it to perform my day to day job on a remote computer all day long, I would find a different job. There is a big difference in what RDS/Citrix are doing and what VNC does.

As for securing the connection, if this is an office environment, is there a VPN in place? A VPN with two-factor authentication will be more secure than anything where you are forwarding ports that are open to the entire internet.

What kinds of Windows 10 security issues are you trying to overcome? I am not aware of anything bad enough to warrant changing platforms. If you are switching because you like Linux better, that's fine. But Windows is pretty secure if it's configured properly, so I am curious what you mean by this.

The short answer is, there is no Linux equivalent of RDS/Citrix. Well, maybe a VDI solution like VMWare View would get you close, but for that you are talking major IT infrastructure needs, and the large cost that comes with it.

Sent from my iPhone

> [...]
>> easier to ask question than to be very agressive towards list and strangers
>>
>> jerry
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Nov 17, 2015, at 5:04 PM, Mark Foley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Wow this is the least active list I've subscribed to. Are there really not that
>>> many people interested in VNC? Seem like with tele-commuting all the rage there
>>> should be a lot of interest.
>>>
>>> How about some info on resources? Is there a place to report bugs for TightVNC?
>>> Is there a place to report issues with x11vnc? A listserve for x11vnc? Likewise
>>> such resources for ssvnc?
>>>
>>> Has development on these VNC tools generally stopped? If so, I'd rather not use
>>> something that will get more obsolescent as time goes on. Perhaps I'll redirect
>>> my efforts to RealVNC or some other product.

Re: Is TightVNC dead?

Patrick Shoaf
Actually, there is a way to display apps running on Linux on a Windows machine.
Install on windows putty and Cygwin-X.  Configure putty to allow X11 forwarding. Start your Cygwin-X server session, SSH into you Linux box with putty, and start your application.  Ex Firefox&  I use the & to put the program in the back ground and not tie up the SSH session.  You will then see Firefox on your Windows desktop.  The application will run and process on the Linux Box, files will be uploaded and downloaded and stored on the Linux Box, only the display, keyboard and mouse data will traverse any network.  Better performance than using VNC, as you are only transferring the window data, not the entire desktop data.  Less data to transfer, faster performance.

On on local 1G LAN, there is minimal difference in performance between RDP and VNC.  Difference is more in features, RDP provides, Drive mapping, printer mapping, clipboard sharing, etc.  VNC provides File Transfer and some clipboard sharing.  VNC is the best solution for support on a network.

Patrick Shoaf
IT Special Projects
[hidden email]

Model Cleaners, Uniforms & Apparel
Model Ohio Enterprises dba The Fussy Cleaners

100 Third Street
Charleroi, PA 15022
Direct Dial: 724-565-2033
724-489-4386 Fax
www.modelcleaners.com
www.modelapparel.com
www.modeluniforms.com
www.thefussycleaners.com

On 11/18/2015 5:48 PM, Russell Reagan wrote:
[...]

pshoaf.vcf (350 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Is TightVNC dead?

Jim Redman
+1 for X-Windows

The X-Windows/X-Term architecture has much more flexibility than Patrick described and has been part of the *nix world for a long time.  As he says, X is more efficient than VNC across a network since it sends only events and not graphics.  You can have multiple displays running remotely from a single Ubuntu system each one independent of the others - I think that's an additional license fee on Windows.

X-Windowing for Windows is available as part of cigwin:

http://x.cygwin.com/

For security reasons, remote sessions have been removed from the default configuration (on Linux and Windows) for a number of years, but I think can still be enabled with a simple configuration change.

If you're currently running within X then the -X option to ssh will let you run graphical programs remotely while viewing the windows on your display - I didn't know that putty would do the same, but I'm not surprised.

There are other VNC-like technologies that are used as part of virtualization on Linux - don't really follow that world, but a little research should find them.

From: Jerry Wetherholt [hidden email]
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2015 19:21:15 -0600
To: [hidden email]

[...]

(505) 662 5156 x85
http://www.ergotech.com

: Configuring TVNC on Windows with tunneling [formerly Is TightVNC dead"]

Mark Foley
John - again, thanks for your response.

(btw, I've changed to subject to be more germaine and less "agressive")

You wrote:

> I use putty on linux when connecting to windows server boxes freesshd as an sshd and TVNC V2.XXX the lastes one.
> The file looks like this:
> #!/bin/bash
> putty -load "theputtyprofilenamefor the sshconnection" -l username -pw password &
> sleep 10
> vncviewer QualityLevel=7 CompressLevel=5 localhost::5900 &
>
> You can do similar from windows.

I've looked at a dozen Windows/VNC-viewer/putty sites.  All show how to do it as
a two-step process: run putty, then run tightVNC.  2 steps for the user is not
desirable.  Your example below is the first one I've seen that uses a script,
albeit for Linux.  But you say, "You can do similar from Windows", so I'll try
that.

Big question, where do I find a list of command line options for the viewer such
as you show: "QualityLevel=7 CompressLevel=5 localhost::5900 ..."? When I run
'tvnviewer.exe /help' on Windows I get what is shown below.  Very few options
listed; one of which is -optionsfile, but what options can go in the
optionsfile? There is no "man page" for the Windows TVNC download.

btw, your example using `vncviewer` is for RealVNC, right? The executable for
TightVNC (on Windows, version 2.7.10) is tvnviewer.exe.

I'll need to find some more help if using putty because 22 is only open to 1 admin
user on the office firewall. My current Windows/TightVNC setup connects to port 1901
on the firewall which redirects to 5900 on the VNCserver. Don't know how this all
needs to work with ssh, but I'll investigate. ssvnc is using ssl.

Your idea about having ssvnc use the TightVNC viewer shortcut was intriguing, but doesn't
work. I get "no such file or directory".

tvnviewer.exe /help:
--------------------

TightVNC Viewer allows you to view and control remote hosts
where TightVNC Server or compatible software is running.

Command line syntax is the following.

Start the viewer:
  tvnviewer

Start the viewer and connect to the specified host:
  tvnviewer hostname::port [OPTIONS]
  tvnviewer -host=hostname [OPTIONS]
  tvnviewer -optionsfile=FILENAME [OPTIONS]

Start the viewer in the listening mode:
  tvnviewer -listen

Show this help on command line usage:
  tvnviewer -help

The following OPTIONS are supported (all of them should be used in the
form -option=VALUE where both option name and value are case-insensitive):

  -optionsfile The specified file will be read and the corresponding
                connection will be restored (use Save Connection Info
                to create such files).

  -host Connect to the specified host name.

  -port Specify the port number.

  -password Specify the password for authenticating to the server.

THX --Mark

> What is wrong with using openssh or putty?
> I use putty on linux when connecting to windows server boxes freesshd as an sshd and TVNC V2.XXX the lastes one.
> The file looks like this:
> #!/bin/bash
> putty -load "theputtyprofilenamefor the sshconnection" -l username -pw password &
> sleep 10
> vncviewer QualityLevel=7 CompressLevel=5 localhost::5900 &
>
> You can do similar from windows.
>
> >I am using Windows for the viewer and Linux for the server. As far as I can
> >tell, TightVNC viewer does not have ssl/ssh capability. That is why I am using
> >ssvnc to create the tunnel. What do you use if not ssvnc?
> Use putty and ssh.
>
> >As mentioned, ssvnc is the program to create the secure ssl tunnel. It launches
> >tightVNC (or other viewers) after creating the tunnel, but does not appear to
> >support command line options (I've tried). If I can set these in the registry
> >that would be just fine. However, the registry is a big animal and I can't
> >really just search through entries looking for TVNC settings. Can you tell me
> >what/where these settings are?
> Why not use the ssvnc and call the TVNC shortcut and not TVNC?
>
> >On the TVNC menu bar there is a 'floppy' icon which when hovered says, "Save
> >session to a .vnc file ...". When clicked it opens the 'My Documents' folder. I
> >save to myfile.vnc. But, when restarted it does not use these settings, nor is
> >there a corresponding 'Load' option on the TVNC menu bar.
> Of course it doesn't. You need to double clock on that myfile.vnc for it to use those settings. If you just start the VNC viewer, it starts empty.
>
> There are many how-tos for using putty and VNC, just google.

RE: Configuring TVNC on Windows with tunneling [formerly Is TightVNC dead"]

John Serink
Hi Mark:

You wrote:

> I use putty on linux when connecting to windows server boxes freesshd as an sshd and TVNC V2.XXX the lastes one.
> The file looks like this:
> #!/bin/bash
> putty -load "theputtyprofilenamefor the sshconnection" -l username -pw
> password & sleep 10 vncviewer QualityLevel=7 CompressLevel=5
> localhost::5900 &
>
> You can do similar from windows.

I've looked at a dozen Windows/VNC-viewer/putty sites.  All show how to do it as a two-step process: run putty, then run tightVNC.  2 steps for the user is not desirable.  Your example below is the first one I've seen that uses a script, albeit for Linux.  But you say, "You can do similar from Windows", so I'll try that.
[JS>] The windows script looks like this:
start C:\Users\jserinkWin7\Desktop\Putty.lnk -load "T4DTestCloud" -l johnroot -pw t4dcloud
C:\Users\jserinkWin7\Desktop\aws.vnc

So, what you have there is a shortcut to the putty executable, putty.lnk and a shortcut to the vnc shortcut. You need to use the 'start' trick else windows will hold the cmd window open until you exit vnc which makes your desktop cluttered with open cmd sessions. Use the links and you'll get around that. The "TestCloud" is the putty connection profile that you have setup in putty which contains the target host ip address, the tunnel details etc.

Big question, where do I find a list of command line options for the viewer such as you show: "QualityLevel=7 CompressLevel=5 localhost::5900 ..."? When I run 'tvnviewer.exe /help' on Windows I get what is shown below.  Very few options listed; one of which is -optionsfile, but what options can go in the optionsfile? There is no "man page" for the Windows TVNC download.
[JS>] Yah, that's linux only. All that stuff is contained in the windows *.vnc shortcut so its not needed in windows.

btw, your example using `vncviewer` is for RealVNC, right? The executable for TightVNC (on Windows, version 2.7.10) is tvnviewer.exe.
[JS>] No, its tigervnc on linux.

I'll need to find some more help if using putty because 22 is only open to 1 admin user on the office firewall. My current Windows/TightVNC setup connects to port 1901 on the firewall which redirects to 5900 on the VNCserver. Don't know how this all needs to work with ssh, but I'll investigate. ssvnc is using ssl.
[JS>] Don't use 22, get your admin to forward 22222 or something else to 22 on your windows box inside the FW. You can get tunnel to any other host from there.

Your idea about having ssvnc use the TightVNC viewer shortcut was intriguing, but doesn't work. I get "no such file or directory".
[JS>] Make sure you use the whole path for the vnc shortcut after you call ssvnc or whatever that is called.

tvnviewer.exe /help:
--------------------

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 04:48:04PM -0600, Russell Reagan wrote:
> Only my opinion, ...

Applies to my comments as well.

> ...but VNC is not in the same ballpark as Microsoft's
> Remote Desktop Services or similar products (Citrix, etc). VNC has its
> place, typically ...

The biggest win for VNC is twofold:  First, it runs on anything
(platform-agnostic), and secondly, you share the desktop with the remote
user.  This is its greatest strength for support.

That platform agnosticism comes at a cost--it's not as efficient as native
programs/display methods such as RDC using RDP.

> RDS is built for application delivery even over slow connections.

I strongly urge you to be careful promising such to end users.  Invariably,
if users try to use file sharing and drive mapping, you *will* get
complaints of performance and reliability.  This isn't easily predictable
or avoidable; when you use any remote control program, the tradeoff is
between just moving KVM (keyboard/video/mouse) data, or actually moving
*data*--files, communications with programs, etc.  The client is at the
mercy of their ISP's bandwidth (both instantaneous and sustained--not at
all the same--caps, asymmetric up/download speeds, congestion, etc.) and the
target system's ISP bandwidth (same issues); VPN encryption overhead, etc.
One thing you do NOT want to do over a VPN, no matter what you're running
for remote access, is run a database that hasn't been optimized for low
bandwidth and latency.

> As for securing the connection, if this is an office environment,
> is there a VPN in place? A VPN with two-factor authentication will be
> more secure than anything where you are forwarding ports that are open
> to the entire internet.

Simply put, the only time anyone should consider trusting a point-to-point
SSH connection for security is a low-cost private setup.  For any business,
you need a firewall appliance that provides a real VPN--SSL, IPSEC,
OpenVPN usually.  (I don't like or trust PPTP or SSTP--the former is known
to have vulnerabilities, the latter is mostly Win and not at all Apple).

> What kinds of Windows 10 security issues are you trying to overcome? I
> am not aware of anything bad enough to warrant changing platforms.

> The short answer is, there is no Linux equivalent of RDS/Citrix.

Not true; you can run X-server/X-client.  It's quite efficient, since it's
only going to be KVM event requests.  It can be "fiddly" to get working
right.

Cheers,
--
        Dave Ihnat

Re: Is TightVNC dead?

Dave Ihnat
On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 06:09:42PM -0500, Patrick Shoaf wrote:
> Actually, there is a way to display apps running on Linux on a
> Windows machine.
><<Goes on to describe X-server>>

I do strongly argue against using any scheme relying on a SSH client to
provide business-level encrypted communications.  You're poking pinholes
in your firewall, and have to use a bunch of non-standard ports if you
have more than one destincation machine.  It's putting the burden of
security on each endpoint machine, precludes auditing, etc.

You are MUCH better off getting a firewall with integrated VPN capability.
For business, I've had very good luck with the WatchGuard series--cheaper
by far than Cisco (and much easier to administer), cheaper than Sonicwall
(which is now owned/maintained by Dell) and, again, easier to administer,
and quite reasonable VPN licensing--something like 40 BOVPN (branch-office
VPN) licenses, 25 SSL VPN licenses, and 25 IPSEC licenses come with each
branch-office level box (currently the Series 2 XTM 26, but that's
deprecated in favor of the new Firebox T-30).  It runs in the neighborhood
of $500-600 or so street.

If that's too rich for your blood, you can put together a very nice
firewall on generic hardware using an open source firewall--I use pfSense
quite successfully.

Cheers,
--
        Dave Ihnat

Re: : Configuring TVNC on Windows with tunneling [formerly Is TightVNC dead"]

Dave Ihnat
I'm only going to address the security aspects of your post...

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 12:48:12AM -0500, Mark Foley wrote:
> I've looked at a dozen Windows/VNC-viewer/putty sites.  All show
> how to do it as a two-step process: run putty, then run tightVNC.
> 2 steps for the user is not desirable.

Perhaps not, but it is what you're going to have to deal with, one way
or another.  However, with a VPN-based solution, it's usually simple--the
end user only needs to start the VPN client (analogies are slippery, but
I tell the clients to think of this as making a call to the company),
then start the remote desktop of choice (I tell them to consider this
dialing an extension. Hokey, but they seem to understand it.)  They then
have to disconnect the remote desktop, and terminate the VPN.

I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but this is important.
For security, you want a VPN.  Using PuTTY, or any other SSH client,
is a low-end, low- or no-cost solution, but it's too fragile and
administration-heavy for business use, requires poking holes in your
firewall, etc.  There are a lot of other reasons it's not optimal.
Don't get me wrong; it *works*, and I use it to support individuals
(friends, family, associates).

> I'll need to find some more help if using putty because 22 is only
> open to 1 admin

Actually, I strongly urge anyone opening a port on their firewall for SSH
to move to a non-standard port, e.g., 2222.  Before someone starts
screaming "that's just security through obscurity", hear me out.  Most of
the door-knocking attacks on SSH don't bother with any other port (for one
thing, scanning for a SSH client gets expensive if you have to look at a
lot of ports).  Simply moving the port precludes a *lot* of the automated
scripted attacks.

Moreover, if you pick an unused range, you can then use incremental ports
to provide access to multiple targets on the LAN.

All that said, I still don't *recommend* it.  Too many pinholes in the
firewall rules, too much interrelated configuration and no auditing.  Get a
real firewall with VPN support.

> My current Windows/TightVNC setup connects to port 1901 on the
> firewall which redirects to 5900 on the VNCserver.

Uh...really not happy-making.  You effectively have no security.

Cheers,
--
        Dave Ihnat

Re: Is TightVNC dead?