Problem starting tightvnc

James Mohr-9
Hi All!

I have a SUSE 10 system which came with tightvnc-1.2.9-186. I can start this
with /usr/X11R6/bin/vncserver, both as root and a normal user and can connect
from Window XP with no problem.

I downloaded tightvnc-1.3.9-1, but cannot install the RPM, but I have an older
version of GLIBC. So I compiled and installed the source code.

I have tried running /usr/local/bin/vncserver both as root and a normal user
and in the log file I see:

Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'
XIO:  fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":2.0"
      after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

xsetroot:  unable to open display ':2'
xterm Xt error: Can't open display: :2
twm:  unable to open display ":2"

It seems logical that if display 2 cannot be created, so xsetroot, etc would
obviously fail. Because this works with 1.2.9, I am sure that there
connection works (i.e. not blocked by the firewall).

I googled for "tightvnc XIO:  fatal IO error 104", but found nothing helpful.
There is also nothing in /var/log/messages.

Any assistance would be appreaciated.

Regards,

jimmo
--
---------------------------------------
"Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your

Re: Problem starting tightvnc

Constantin Kaplinsky
James,

> I have tried running /usr/local/bin/vncserver both as root and a
> normal user and in the log file I see:
>
> Fatal server error:
> could not open default font 'fixed'
> XIO:  fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":2.0"
>       after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

It was a problem with font path which can be edited in the vncserver
script.