Problem logging in to VNCServer from Chiina

Problem logging in to VNCServer from Chiina

Eric Wentorf
I set-up a TightVNC server on my home PC (Dell XPS400, WinXP MCE) and have been able to access it from my laptop (IBM T43, WinXP pro) successfully. I am now in China and can not connect. "Failed to connect to server" error msg. I can ping the server no problem.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance . . .

==>Eric Wentorf
   mobile 262.902.6105

Water flows on uninterruptedly and reaches its goal.
I Ching, K'an/Water

Re: Problem logging in to VNCServer from Chiina

Eric Wentorf
On Tue, Sep 11, 2007 at 07:39:29PM -0700, Eric Wentorf wrote:

> I set-up a TightVNC server on my home PC (Dell XPS400, WinXP MCE) and
> have been able to access it from my laptop (IBM T43, WinXP pro)
> successfully. I am now in China and can not connect. "Failed to
> connect to server" error msg. I can ping the server no problem.

First question is have you accessed it from externally before? You say
it works on your laptop, but was this on your internal LAN or from
another ip address elsewhere, i.e. if you have it port forwarded, have
you actually checked that it worked before you went to China?

Assuming you have tried this and it worked, then I was going to suggest
a possible routing problem, but if you can ping the server then it's not
that.

It's therefore most likely that your connection is "helpfully" being
filtered. China are known for doing things like that and filter all
sorts of things to prevent "subversive information" from being accessed
by the populace.

R.
--
             Don't walk in front of me - I may not follow.
                Don't walk behind me - I may not lead.

I checked the connection from outside of my LAN, and I can piing the address from here (China), so it must be some sort of filter. I was also checking from a work location.

I just checked it from the hotel and it works. I'll a happy camper now.

Thanks,