Port number?

johncunniff
Hello, there.

I need your help. I use my iOS device for connecting with VNC viewer and my laptop's port number is 5901. I tried connecting to my home network using xx.xx.xx.xx:1 but, I cannot connect. Then, I use my Windows Desktop PC and tried connected the same IP address as: xx.xx.xx.xx:1 and it connected fine. I do not understand why maybe VNC Viewer has a different setting for connecting to a port number. It's example shows like ::80 I think it is for web port number (default port for a web address).

Can you clarify to me about VNC Viewer to connect to the correct syntax?

Thank you very much.

~Johnny :)

John Cunniff
E-mail: [hidden email] or [hidden email]
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/jcunniff
Johnzy on Google Groups DB groups

Johnny sent from his iPad Pro

Re: Port number?

B. S.
Instead of xx.xx.xx.xx:1 try xx.xx.xx.xx:5901. Or port 5900, for that
matter. '1' will be a display port number, often assumed as an offset
from 5900. However, I have seen that display number and port number
aren't always consistently and accurately effected throughout the entire
vnc ecosystem. AFAIK, real port numbers will always work.

::80 will be an ipv6 related address, which you may or may not have
going on that machine?

Or, you are looking at vnc's http server capability - where it's easy to
forget to tick that setting to enable? And/or easy to forget to open up
the firewall on that port on that machine.