Port Forwarding question

johncunniff
Hello, Everybody,

I am at my friend's new apartment, I had to re-define a Port Forwarding with her brand-new modem from Comcast. I have some questions, I don't understand some questions. They are not the same as my own modem (4 years old) as it is a little different from my friend's modem, unfortunately. I don't know the server IP address and also other settings. I do know the settings: Other (yes) and TCP/UDP (yes) and port should be 5900 and so on. Can you tell me what a few things I need to enter? Here is a snapshot of this screen below.

Inline image 1

Let me know what I do need to set?

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,
~Johnny :)

Re: Port Forwarding question

John Serink
Server ip address is the computer ip you are forwarding to.
Name is a description, 'VNC port forward' for example,
Forwarding port is TCP 5900, you don't need UDP on 5900 so don't enable it.

For this to work you will need to know the public IP from the ISP.

Cheers,
John

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

image.png (59K) Download Attachment

Re: Port Forwarding question

Rohit Patil
You can get the public IP for the cable modem from the menu on the left: Gateway - Connection - XFINITY Network. Look for "WAN IP Address (IPv4)". This address could change every now and then.

Also, on the port forwarding page, leave the "Server IPv6 Address" section blank.

-Rohit.

On Sat, Dec 19, 2015 at 6:43 PM, John Serink <[hidden email]> wrote:
Server ip address is the computer ip you are forwarding to.
Name is a description, 'VNC port forward' for example,
Forwarding port is TCP 5900, you don't need UDP on 5900 so don't enable it.

For this to work you will need to know the public IP from the ISP.

Cheers,
John

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

RE: Port Forwarding question

johncunniff
Hello, John S. and everybody,

I came back home and I checked my home modem settings. Oh that was it. Funny thing, I took my friend out for pizza with Pepsi. I really needed a caffeine! LOL. When I drank and my brand cleared up and I REMEMBERED! I needed to put a machine IP address, (10.0.0.2 for example from home computer) soooo, anyway, I TOTALLY forgot about machine IP address, Lol. Sorry about that! Also, funny, I kept forgetting about "24" part of my home public IP, I kept typing like 61.63... but I forgot 24 this early afternoon, boo hoo!!! Oh well. Anyway, I have checked my home computer, it is:

Service Name: TightVNC
Type: TCP/UDP
Server IP Address: 10.0.0.2
IPv6 Address: 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0
Start Port: 5900
End Port: 5900

It worked perfectly when I was outside of home (using my laptop from my friend's home, no problem.)

Finally, I got everything settiled down, LOL, sorry, I needed a caffeine, ha.

Thank you,
~Johnny :)

Johnny ☺