Performance slows to a crawl with some applications

Performance slows to a crawl with some applications

Wolf, John (DAL-TMA)
I've used TightVNC for years, but have never gotten around to asking why remote control sessions can become nearly unresponsive when some applications are open. For example, if I have Event Viewer open, and I am trying to view system events, remote control becomes very very lagged. In the past, I had seen the same when a CMD window was opened.

Server is Win 10 64, Client is the OSX built in screen sharing client. I tried adding the Event Viewer window as a video window, just to see if it would treat it differently.

Do I have to install the mirror driver to fix this? Is the DFMirage driver stable on Win 10? I was trying to keep installed drivers to a minimum on the Win 10 machine.

This message contains information which may be confidential and privileged. Unless you are the intended recipient (or authorized to receive this message for the intended recipient), you may not use, copy, disseminate or disclose to anyone the message or any information contained in the message.  If you have received the message in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail, and delete the message.  Thank you very much.

Re: Performance slows to a crawl with some applications

Matthew Kozak
John,

I'm not seeing the same - I've only ever had an issue with media playing and/or even graphic-intensive (especially large animated GIF or other image-changing motion) in a browser or such.  I've checked event viewer and used cmd fine otherwise, so this seems curious behavior, not necessarily attributable to tightvnc?  Perhaps a large load of logs has your event viewer sucking-up resources, although that would not also account for cmd having similar issues...

I am using Windows<-->Windows for server/client and the tightvnc viewer on the client side and have not installed the mirror driver in a very long time (definitely not since the longstanding v2.7.10 came out).  I've never had a lot of luck with tightvnc viewer connecting to OS X when legacy VNC is enabled on the latter, but I assume it's the same graphics-intensive issue (pretty/shiny and lots of movement, say in a magnifying Dock on the OS X side).  I can't say I've connected from OS X to Windows like you though.

Have you tried connecting to a basic desktop with a fairly clean install and seeing if you can replicate from your same OS X client?  Or use that same basic desktop to connect to the server with tightvnc viewer to try to replicate?

Thanks,
-Matt

On May 4, 2016, at 10:35 AM, Wolf, John (DAL-TMA) <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Systems Programmer/Administrator
Rutgers University | OIT-Camden
856-225-6730