Quantcast

Password Limitations?

Eddie Rowe

When I install TightVNC with our complex password I cannot connect to the server.  I am able to use a simple password such as the one below.  Are there limitations on the MSI installer with how fancy of a password you can use?  (We use another VNC product and it uses a complex password.)

msiexec.exe /i "tightvnc-2.7.10-setup-32bit.msi" ALLUSERS=1 /qn /norestart /log output.log ADDLOCAL="Server" SERVER_REGISTER_AS_SERVICE=1 SERVER_ADD_FIREWALL_EXCEPTION=1 SERVER_ALLOW_SAS=1 SET_USEVNCAUTHENTICATION=1 VALUE_OF_USEVNCAUTHENTICATION=1 SET_PASSWORD=1 VALUE_OF_PASSWORD=password

Re: Password Limitations?

Diego Carmona
Historically, VNC solutions have a limit of 8 characters for password when using standard VNC authentication, and most modern implementations respect that in order to maintain backwards compatibility. If you're trying to set up a larger one, you can try and see if you can connect using only the first 8 characters (it's likely you'll be able to connect).

Ing. Diego Carmona Salazar
Desarrollador de Software  |  Ingeniería en Computación | ITCR
[hidden email] | ~dcarmona

When I install TightVNC with our complex password I cannot connect to the server.  I am able to use a simple password such as the one below.  Are there limitations on the MSI installer with how fancy of a password you can use?  (We use another VNC product and it uses a complex password.)

msiexec.exe /i "tightvnc-2.7.10-setup-32bit.msi" ALLUSERS=1 /qn /norestart /log output.log ADDLOCAL="Server" SERVER_REGISTER_AS_SERVICE=1 SERVER_ADD_FIREWALL_EXCEPTION=1 SERVER_ALLOW_SAS=1 SET_USEVNCAUTHENTICATION=1 VALUE_OF_USEVNCAUTHENTICATION=1 SET_PASSWORD=1 VALUE_OF_PASSWORD=password

RE: Password Limitations?

Eddie Rowe

Yes, I am aware of the 8 character limitation across VNC versions.  Our password is complex in that it uses letters, numbers, and special characters on the number keys.

Re: Password Limitations?

John Serink
Ok, this is going to be a bit of a long answer but worth it....
Usually, when you install something its as Administrator or root or whatever name you have given your root account.
That account will have it own keyboard.
When you want to connect to something it will be under another user, that user will have it own keyboard.

If those two keyboards are NOT the same, you have problems.

Example:

We had industrial machines pre-installed with Windows 7 pro and they came form the UK so they used the British keyboard on the Administrator account. Our passwords have the "@" character in them. On a US keyboard the "@" character is shift-2, on the British keyboard the shift-2 is a dollar sign or something and the "@" character is beside the enter key.

ok, we install our sw with includes freesshd and tightvnc under the Administrator account thinking we're using an American keyboard.
We create a user on the machine when we are root assigning an American keyboard.
Logout as root, log in as the user....can't log in. You can try all day, con't log in. Why? Because we THOUGHT we created password [hidden email] but the password we actually got, because the keyboard was British when we set it up, was df7"pod.

Try to connect to ssh from another machine, fails, same reason.

Setup auto loging and it works....WTF? Makes perfect sense because you setup autologin when you're logged in as root.....you have the British keyboard so you're actually entering in df7"pod even though you THINK you're entering in [hidden email].

Solution:
Make sure every user profile on the machine has the same keyboard, ESPECIALLY the Administrator account.

We now have a procedure the technicians go through to ensure that the [rofiles all match with US keyboards.

This issue might be your problem.

Cheers,
John

On Thu, 2016-05-26 at 20:55 +0000, Eddie Rowe wrote:

When I install TightVNC with our complex password I cannot connect to the server.  I am able to use a simple password such as the one below.  Are there limitations on the MSI installer with how fancy of a password you can use?  (We use another VNC product and it uses a complex password.)

msiexec.exe /i "tightvnc-2.7.10-setup-32bit.msi" ALLUSERS=1 /qn /norestart /log output.log ADDLOCAL="Server" SERVER_REGISTER_AS_SERVICE=1 SERVER_ADD_FIREWALL_EXCEPTION=1 SERVER_ALLOW_SAS=1 SET_USEVNCAUTHENTICATION=1 VALUE_OF_USEVNCAUTHENTICATION=1 SET_PASSWORD=1 VALUE_OF_PASSWORD=password

John Edward Serink
Product Applications Engineer,
Advanced Positioning
Trimble Navigation Singapore PTE Ltd.