Quantcast

Newest version problem transferring files to older versions?

Newest version problem transferring files to older versions?

ArtieJ
I cannot get VNC server on one computer to allow file transfers to a client. Another server at a different location works fine.  The situation is:

Client: TightVNC Viewer 1.3.9

Server 1: TightVNC Server 1.3.9.  This one works fine.

Server 2: TightVNC Server 2.7.10. File Transfer button is grayed out.  In the same building as Client machine. Problem is the same connecting by LAN.

"Enable file transfers" is checked on both servers.  I have uncheked, restart server, and recheck the option and restart again in case some registry entry needed to be set.
All machines running Windows XP SP3.

Is the newer server not compatible with the earlier versions?  Changing anything on Server 2 involves a lot more hassle than making changes to the other 2 machines, so I'm hoping I'm overlooking something simple and not have to reinstall TightVNC on Server 2.  I'm guessing I'll wind up uninstalling, cleaning registry flotsam, then install 1.3.9.  Any ideas before I have to do all that?  TIA!

Re: Newest version problem transferring files to older versions?

Constantin Kaplinsky-3
Hello,

> Is the newer server not compatible with the earlier versions?

Unfortunately, yes. File transfers in versions 2.x are not compatible
with versions 1.x. Unfortunately, file transfer protocol extensions in
versions 1.x had major problems that could not be solved without
breaking protocol compatibility. Sorry for the inconvenience.

--
Best Regards,
Constantin Kaplinsky

Re: Newest version problem transferring files to older versions?

ArtieJ
thank you Constantin.  I'll update the other computers.  Best practice anyway, I should have just done that first.