Newbie

Holley, Atemia

Hello I’m the new systems Admin in my district,  the district uses tightvnc for their remote access solution.  I tried to log onto a device by its computer name and I ended up logging into another individuals computer.  What could cause this problem and how should I resolve this?

I too haven’t updated java on my computer because the updated version of java takes away my ability to remote into individuals computer.  It tells me the security risk is a problem.  I am now on a Windows 10 devices and the computers I remote into are Windows 7 and Windows 10

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: Newbie

Russell Reagan
That sounds like DNS is not resolving the computer name to the correct IP address.

On Jan 20, 2016, at 1:49 PM, Holley, Atemia <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello I’m the new systems Admin in my district,  the district uses tightvnc for their remote access solution.  I tried to log onto a device by its computer name and I ended up logging into another individuals computer.  What could cause this problem and how should I resolve this?

I too haven’t updated java on my computer because the updated version of java takes away my ability to remote into individuals computer.  It tells me the security risk is a problem.  I am now on a Windows 10 devices and the computers I remote into are Windows 7 and Windows 10

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

RE: Newbie

Holley, Atemia

Okay, I will look into this and update you on the issue.

Atemia Holley
Systems/Network Administrator
17715 Brady St
Redford, Mi 48237
313-242-4257

I agree with Russell. It is a name resolution issue. We still use WINS and at times enter information manually in the host file. I would ping the computer name and see what ip address resolves.

On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 1:49 PM, Holley, Atemia <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello I’m the new systems Admin in my district,  the district uses tightvnc for their remote access solution.  I tried to log onto a device by its computer name and I ended up logging into another individuals computer.  What could cause this problem and how should I resolve this?

I too haven’t updated java on my computer because the updated version of java takes away my ability to remote into individuals computer.  It tells me the security risk is a problem.  I am now on a Windows 10 devices and the computers I remote into are Windows 7 and Windows 10

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Rickey Oeth
Technology Coordinator
Sparta CUSD #140
203 B Dean Ave.
Sparta, IL 62286
618-443-5331 x204 (office)
618-317-1577 (Cell)

This transmission is intended and restricted for use by the above addressee only.  It may contain confidential and/or privileged information exempt from disclosure under federal or state law.  In the event some other person or entity receives this transmission, said recipient is hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or duplication of this transmission or its contents is prohibited.  If you should receive this transmission in error, please call us immediately (collect) at 618-443-5331, delete the file from your system, and destroy any hard copies of this transmission.  Thank you!