Newbie problem connecitng with a vncserver

Newbie problem connecitng with a vncserver

Sid Tupper
Newbie problem connecitng with a vncserver

I have a Fedora 7 box and an XP laptop on a LAN and I want to operate the Linux machine through the laptop with vnc.

I installed the tightvnc viewer on the XP machine and the tightvnc server on the Linux machine.  When I run vncserver on the Linx machine it tells me the host and display name to use on the viewer but when I run the vncviewer with those parameters, after a while I get an error: "Failed to connect to server".  I can ping the linux machine from the XP machine, and I've enabled ports for TCP at 5500, 5800 and 5900 in both the linux and xp firewalls, and even port-forwarded those addresses in the router.  By the way, both machines are connected to the router: the linux machine by ethernet and the xp machine by 802.11b.

What can I do to make this work?

Thanks
Sid Tupper

Re: Newbie problem connecitng with a vncserver

Constantin Kaplinsky
Hello Sid,

> I installed the tightvnc viewer on the XP machine and the tightvnc
> server on the Linux machine.  When I run vncserver on the Linx
> machine it tells me the host and display name to use on the viewer
> but when I run the vncviewer with those parameters, after a while I
> get an error: "Failed to connect to server".  I can ping the linux
> machine from the XP machine, and I've enabled ports for TCP at 5500,
> 5800 and 5900 in both the linux and xp firewalls, and even
> port-forwarded those addresses in the router.

Correct port numbers are 5900+display (normal RFB traffic) and
5800+display (if you use Java viewer). Opening ports 5900 and 5800 will
not help, because normally Xvnc operates on display 1 or higher.