Newbee problem connecting to server

Christian Müller-8
Hello all.
I have a home network with 3 computers connected. One Ubunu
and two Windos XP Home. I run tightVNC 1.3.9 server and
viewer on the two XP systems and VNC common on Ubuntu 7.10.
I have no problem in connecting from both XP's to Ubuntu,
but are unable to connect from/to either of the XP's.
I have  disabled the firewalls with no success.I have tried
to change about all the settings on servers and viewers
without success. I have also tried to install an account on
the XP, also without success. The log on level 12 is very
brief and essentially tells me that the connection was
refused (why?). Trying to connect from Ubuntu simply times out.
I have walked through a number of entries in the archive,
but found no solution. The search server of the archive
could not be accessed.
I fear I am doing something very basic wrong. Can any one
suggest how I can save my day?
Thank you!
Christian Müller
Spain

Re: Newbee problem connecting to server

Rohit Patil
I suggested Christian to try shutting down the server that was started
in service mode and restarting it manually (using the Programs menu)
in user mode. It had worked for me sometime back and it worked for
Christian too. We don't know why yet; I didn't bother to investigate.

Just wondered if anyone already had this figured out.

Regards,
-Rohit.

On Jan 6, 2008 8:48 AM, Christian Müller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all.
> I have a home network with 3 computers connected. One Ubunu
> and two Windos XP Home. I run tightVNC 1.3.9 server and
> viewer on the two XP systems and VNC common on Ubuntu 7.10.
> I have no problem in connecting from both XP's to Ubuntu,
> but are unable to connect from/to either of the XP's.
> I have  disabled the firewalls with no success.I have tried
> to change about all the settings on servers and viewers
> without success. I have also tried to install an account on
> the XP, also without success. The log on level 12 is very
> brief and essentially tells me that the connection was
> refused (why?). Trying to connect from Ubuntu simply times out.
> I have walked through a number of entries in the archive,
> but found no solution. The search server of the archive
> could not be accessed.
> I fear I am doing something very basic wrong. Can any one
> suggest how I can save my day?
> Thank you!
> Christian Müller
> Spain

Re: Newbee problem connecting to server

Christian Müller-8
I have proceded as Rohit had suggested: shut down the server
that had been started as a service and manually restarted
the server. On the desktop system this worked at first
attempt. Not so my laptop. I was just about ready to accept
this fact, when after a restart of the laptop (powerdown-up)
and a repeat of the "Rohit-porocedure" the laptop responded,
too. I am unable to tell whether the powerdown/up did the
trick or whether somthing else caused the intial problem. I
am only mentioning it in  case the procedure does not work
initially for someone else, he may have a chance after a
powerdown-up procedure.
What I find most amazing and intriguing is that since the
"Rohit-procedure" the connection works even though the
server was started as a service, i.e. the Rohit-procedure
needs to be done only once!
Thanks Rohit, again! (You did save my day!)
Christian

P.S. Sorry, I had meant to respond to the list not to Rohit
personally.

Rohit Patil schrieb:

> Cool! Yeah, One of theses days (when I get a life away from work!) I
> will try to figure out why it works. Maybe someone on the list already
> knows this.
>
> You should post your findings to your thread in the list if you deem
> it appropriate, so people in similar situations can make a connection!
>
> Regards,
> -Rohit.
>
> On Jan 6, 2008 12:23 PM, Christian Müller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello Rohit,
>>
>> thanks a lot for your help. It works! Unbelievable! I could
>> never have figured that out.
>>
>> Christian
>>

>> Rohit Patil schrieb:
>>
>>> Christian, I had this problem sometime back. I killed the server
>>> started in service mode and then manually (from the Programs menu)
>>> started a server in user mode. It worked for me. I haven't figured out
>>> why yet.
>>>
>>> -Rohit.

Re: Newbee problem connecting to server

Hello Christian,

> The log on level 12 is very brief and essentially tells me that the
> connection was refused (why?).

How exactly that log record looks like? If I'll be able to reproduce the
problem, it's very likely that I'll be able to solve it as well.