Loopback and other errors

vnc

Loopback and other errors

vnc

I have a POS system with a Server and 12 windows embedded terminals.

I installed TightVNC on all the above with the default "Typical" installation. I used the same access and admin password on all terminals.

I can connect to the Server over a VPN connection. I can connect from the Server to about 1/3 of the terminals. The rest of the terminals will not connect with different error messages. Errors connecting from the server are the same whether I am remote over the VPN or sitting in front of the console so I am ruling out the VPN connection.

If I try to connect using the FQDN, for example: POS8 then I get the response "Authentication reason: Sorry loopback connections are not enabled". If I try to connect to the same machine with the actual IP address then I get: "Error in TightVNC viewer: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it".

Some of the terminals that do connect work with the FQDN, others work with the IP address and the remainder give the above errors.

What can I check to fix this problem?

MagicTH

Re: Loopback and other errors

John Serink
Check your firewall rules.
You need incoming on TCP 5900 on ALL interaces.

Give that a try.

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

image001.gif (214 bytes) Download Attachment
vnc

RE: Loopback and other errors

vnc
John,

Thanks for the quick advice. I added an exception to the firewall for port
5900 and now all terminals connect IF I use the IPv4 address.

However, I still get "loopback not enabled" if I try the FQDN. I saw in some
online thread that loopback must be "allowed" in the registry? On my home
network I use FQDN all the time and it works fine without changing anything.

You need incoming on TCP 5900 on ALL interaces.

Give that a try.

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

RE: Loopback and other errors

John Serink
I'd look at it with wireshark.
The FQDN should make no difference and the host machine is still contacted via the IP address, the only difference is the client machine has DNS lookup the address before contacting the host.

I think you might have a DNS issue.

Cheers,
john

You need incoming on TCP 5900 on ALL interaces.

Give that a try.

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

Re: Loopback and other errors

Patrick Shoaf
John,

In order to use the FQDN, you must make sure you have DNS setup correctly.  I have over 100 Thin Clients with VNC Server installed and most devices work via FQDN.  The problem is that the machines are DHCP, and they do not always correctly update the DNS records.  I have had 3 records in my DNS for the same name with three different IP addresses.  Occasionally all records are wrong as the DHCP server did not give the name to the DNS server.

Patrick Shoaf
IT Special Projects
[hidden email]

Model Cleaners, Uniforms & Apparel
Model Ohio Enterprises dba The Fussy Cleaners

100 Third Street
Charleroi, PA 15022
Direct Dial: 724-565-2033
724-489-4386 Fax
www.modelcleaners.com
www.modelapparel.com
www.modeluniforms.com
www.thefussycleaners.com

On 9/21/2015 10:35 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
[...]

pshoaf.vcf (350 bytes) Download Attachment