Linux server + Windows client = garbled keyboard input

Linux server + Windows client = garbled keyboard input

A B-19
Hello everyone,

I'm running TightVNC server (tightvnc-server-1.2.9-16.1mdv2007.1.x86_64.rpm) on my Linux computer (Mandriva 2007 Spring, running KDE), and I intend tu use the latest VNC viewer (TightVNV 1.3.9) on a Windows XP machine.

Everything runs pretty much fine (e.g. mouse movements and clicks), EXCEPT that keyboard input is completely garbled ! I tried the java client and the result is the same.

For instance, my azerty keys give :
A gives nothing
Z gives "u"
E gives "B"
R gives nothing
T gives "9"
Y gives nothing
U gives "0" (zero)
P gives nothing
del gives nothing
and enter gives del !!! o_O

Does someone have the slightest idea as to why this happens and how to solve it ? Would it be a matter of encoding ? Charset ? Voodoo magic ?

Thank you in advance for your help !

Aurélien

Re: Linux server + Windows client = garbled keyboard input

> I'm running TightVNC server
> (tightvnc-server-1.2.9-16.1mdv2007.1.x86_64.rpm) on my Linux computer
> (Mandriva 2007 Spring, running KDE), and I intend tu use the latest
> VNC viewer (TightVNV 1.3.9) on a Windows XP machine.
>
> Everything runs pretty much fine (e.g. mouse movements and clicks),
> EXCEPT that keyboard input is completely garbled ! I tried the java
> client and the result is the same.

Does it work with Unix/Linux TightVNC Viewer? It looks like something is
wrong on the Xvnc side (maybe problems specific to the x86_64
architecture?).

Re: Linux server + Windows client = garbled keyboard input

Jean-Luc Delatre
Le Wed, 19 Sep 2007 12:27:39 +0000,
"A B" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Does someone have the slightest idea as to why this happens and how to solve it ? Would it be a matter of encoding ? Charset ? Voodoo magic ?

Given the astounding number of "silly" problems with TightVNC appearing on this list I am beginning to think that the required "magic" is just paying for commercial support...

JLD

Re: Re: Linux server + Windows client = garbled keyboard input

A B-19
> Hello,

> > I'm running TightVNC server
> > (tightvnc-server-1.2.9-16.1mdv2007.1.x86_64.rpm) on my Linux computer
> > (Mandriva 2007 Spring, running KDE), and I intend tu use the latest
> > VNC viewer (TightVNV 1.3.9) on a Windows XP machine.
> >
> > Everything runs pretty much fine (e.g. mouse movements and clicks),
> > EXCEPT that keyboard input is completely garbled ! I tried the java
> > client and the result is the same.
>
> Does it work with Unix/Linux TightVNC Viewer? It looks like something is
> wrong on the Xvnc side (maybe problems specific to the x86_64
> architecture?).
>
> --
> With Best Wishes,
> Constantin
Hello and thank you for your reply, Constantin. I tried with an i586 build of both the VNC server and client... and it worked ! :-D

So you were right : it seems to be an issue with x86_64 arch, but the workaround suits me fine.

Thank you !

Re: Re: Linux server + Windows client = garbled keyboard input

A B-19
> > Does someone have the slightest idea as to why this happens and how to
> solve it ? Would it be a matter of encoding ? Charset ? Voodoo magic ?
>
> Given the astounding number of "silly" problems with TightVNC appearing on
> this list I am beginning to think that the required "magic" is just paying
> for commercial support...
>
> JLD

Sure, but I only use TightVNC for my hobbies, not for any professional work. I'm considering a donation though... ;-)

Re: Linux server + Windows client = garbled keyboard input

astrand (Bugzilla)

> Le Wed, 19 Sep 2007 12:27:39 +0000,
> "A B" <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> > Does someone have the slightest idea as to why this happens and how to
> > solve it ? Would it be a matter of encoding ? Charset ? Voodoo magic ?
>
> Given the astounding number of "silly" problems with TightVNC appearing
> on this list I am beginning to think that the required "magic" is just
> paying for commercial support...

Silly or not, keyboard problems are extremely common and often difficult
to resolve. There are so many things that can go wrong and keyboards are
full of odd corner cases and special cases. When you add to the mix that
different operating systems behaves differently and that some applications
are violating the OS APIs, you have a mess. Sometimes even the OS itself
is inconsistent. (For example, whether or not Windows returns a virtual
comma key or a virtual decimal key depends purely on the legacy behaviour.
The control panel setting is not taken into account; nor the symbol that's
actually printed on the physical keyboards associated with the keymaps.)

That said, modern versions of VNC (say, the 1.5.X series) works fairly
well. In ThinLinc, we have done some additional tweaks that has not yet
made it into the Subversion repository, but all sources are binaries are
available from our web page.

You might be able to get 1.2.X working as well, with some configuration.

Regards,
---
Peter Åstrand ThinLinc Chief Developer
Cendio AB http://www.cendio.se