Java Viewer from another Host

Crisler, Brendan (Ship Systems)
Java Viewer from another Host

Hello,

I have an issue with the Java viewer.  What I'd like to do is run the applet on an apache web server on one server, run the vnc server on another.  I know that there are Java security policies preventing them being on separate servers (according to the TightVnc readme file).  Is there a way around it though?  I know there are PARAMS for HOST, and the applet is defaulted to localhost.  I would like, though, the applet to point to another vnc server if at all possible.

Thanks,

Brendan Crisler

Re: Java Viewer from another Host

Constantin Kaplinsky
Hello Brendan,

> I have an issue with the Java viewer.  What I'd like to do is run the
> applet on an apache web server on one server, run the vnc server on
> another.  I know that there are Java security policies preventing them
> being on separate servers (according to the TightVnc readme file).  Is
> there a way around it though?  I know there are PARAMS for HOST, and the
> applet is defaulted to localhost.  I would like, though, the applet to
> point to another vnc server if at all possible.

It's possible to make the applet connect to another host, by setting the
HOST parameter. The Java security model does not allow such connections
for unsigned applets. But as you run a standalone Web server, you
probably can sign the applet.

RE: Java Viewer from another Host

James Weatherall
> Hello Brendan,

> > I have an issue with the Java viewer.  What I'd like to do
> is run the
> > applet on an apache web server on one server, run the vnc server on
> > another.  I know that there are Java security policies
> preventing them
> > being on separate servers (according to the TightVnc readme
> file).  Is
> > there a way around it though?  I know there are PARAMS for
> HOST, and
> > the applet is defaulted to localhost.  I would like, though, the
> > applet to point to another vnc server if at all possible.
>
> It's possible to make the applet connect to another host, by
> setting the HOST parameter. The Java security model does not
> allow such connections for unsigned applets. But as you run a
> standalone Web server, you probably can sign the applet.

For what it's worth, the standard VNC Free Edition java applet is
distributed signed, so you could use that unless you require
TightVNC-specific functionality.

Cheers,

--
Wez @ RealVNC Ltd