Java Viewer and Mac

Art Schneider
Java Viewer and Mac Hello

I’m a non-programmer, newbie who would like to use the Java Viewer with my Mac to connect to my Windows desktop computer at work.  I have installed the tightvnc server on my work computer and successfully logged into it using another Windows machine and the tightvnc client.

I would now like to log into the desktop using my Mac from home.  I have downloaded both the Java Viewer zip file and the Java Viewer GZ file.  I think I have extracted the appropriate files but I have no idea how I can get the Java viewer to launch so I can key in the IP address of my desktop computer.  The only file I can see that will open is a blank “index.html” file with a single link to the “tightvnc” home page web site.

What am I missing here?

thanks

Re: Java Viewer and Mac

> I¹m a non-programmer, newbie who would like to use the Java Viewer
> with my Mac to connect to my Windows desktop computer at work.  I
> have installed the tightvnc server on my work computer and
> successfully logged into it using another Windows machine and the
> tightvnc client.
>
> I would now like to log into the desktop using my Mac from home.  I
> have downloaded both the Java Viewer zip file and the Java Viewer GZ
> file.  I think I have extracted the appropriate files but I have no
> idea how I can get the Java viewer to launch so I can key in the IP
> address of my desktop computer.  The only file I can see that will
> open is a blank ³index.html² file with a single link to the
> ³tightvnc² home page web site.

Please read the README file included within the TightVNC Java Viewer
distribution. Its "Installation" section describes the ways of
installing and using the viewer. Probably what you need is a standalone
application:

  3. Running the viewer as a standalone application.

     Finally, the Java viewer can be executed locally on the client
     machine, but this method requires installation of either JRE (Java
     Runtime Environment) or JDK (Java Development Kit). If all the
     .class files are in the current directory, the Java viewer can be
     executed like this, from the command line:

         java VncViewer HOST vnchost PORT 5900

     The parameters HOST and PORT are required, but there is a number of
     optional parameters as well (see the Parameters section below).