It was working...then it wasn't

C. K. Hutler
Hello list -

I had been running TVNC 1.2.9 on my home XP machine for some time and then one day  I stopped being able to connect.  Around that time I was having DSL issues so I assumed my DSL connectivity was going up and down but even after that resolved I was unable to connect with TVNC.  No changes were made to Norton or my router but I had downloaded another piece of anti-virus software (kaspersky), used it, and have since uninstalled it.  Instead of trying to reverse engineer my issue I decided to download the latest version of TightVNC and install that.  Installation was a breeze and it seems to be running just fine as is my DynDNS.  Still no luck.

I'm able to ping my DynDNS address remotely but the VNC viewer won't connect.  When I try to connect I get the dialog box with the connection initiated message and then another that says "Failed to connect to server (______.homeip.net:__).

Any ideas?  Should I be able to ping that domain and port because that just times out.

Thanks in advance,
Craig

..:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:..
Craig Hutler
[hidden email]
"Everyone has a game plan
until you get hit in the mouth."
- Mike Tyson

Re: It was working...then it wasn't

C. K. Hutler
>If you  can't connect to your home machine using the domain name, it's likely because of a DNS problem
I can ping the domain and the IP successfully.  I can't ping with the port number but I'm not sure one is able to ping a port anyway.

>you will have login problems if you set up the "default" password and user password as you would
I'm not even getting a connection that asks for me to return a password.
I don't know if I'm doing this correctly or not, but here is my 2 cents.

I don't think your problem is with TightVNC.  If you  can't connect to your home machine using the domain name, it's likely because of a DNS problem either at the location you're trying to connect from or at DynDNS, at least in terms of a DynDNS change propagating through the DNS server network.  Try  using the ip (numerical) address if you know what it is now.

BTW-  I assume that you installed TightVNC 1.3.9.  If so, you will have login problems if you set up the "default" password and user password as you would  have done in 1.2.9.  In 1.3.9 the default password only works if no one is logged in.  Otherwise, each account on the computer must have it's own VNC password and you will have to guess what account is logged in before you get locked out.

Good luck

-Charles

RE: It was working...then it wasn't

Bob McConnell
>>If you  can't connect to your home machine using the domain name, it's
likely because of a DNS problem
>I can ping the domain and the IP successfully.  I can't ping with the
port number but I'm not sure one is able to ping a port anyway.

>>you will have login problems if you set up the "default" password and
user password as you would
>I'm not even getting a connection that asks for me to return a
password.

Try to telnet into that port. There should be some form of connection
message returned from the server as the initial handshake. On one of my
servers the message is "RFB 003.007". If not, you are probably not
connecting to your server at all, but the telnet client should provide a
more specific error message.

Bob McConnell
Principal Communications Programmer
The CBORD Group, Inc.
61 Brown Road
Ithaca NY, 14850
Phone 607 257-2410
FAX 607 257-1902
Email [hidden email]
Web www.cbord.com

RE: It was working...then it wasn't

C. K. Hutler
> Try to telnet into that port.
Even if I try to telnet into that port I get a message telling me that "Could not open connection to the host, on port 23 connection failed."  And port 23 isn't what I'm trying to hit.

..:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:..
[hidden email]

> Subject: RE: It was working...then it wasn't

> Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 08:21:25 -0500
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]

You can telnet to any port, 23 is only the default.

In MS-Windows "telnet yourIP 5900"
In Linux "telnet yourIP:5900:

If you know the handshake sequence, you can manually perform almost any
standard connection sequence. It's an excellent debug tool.

Bob McConnell

________________________________

> Subject: RE: It was working...then it wasn't
> Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 08:21:25 -0500
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]

So the answer is no...I cannot telnet to my domain on any port. I can still ping it but no telnet.
None of my router settings have been changed so tonight I'll look at my firewall (both Norton and MS).

Thanks,
Craig

..:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:..
[hidden email]

From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 13:33:41 -0600

> Try to telnet into that port.
Even if I try to telnet into that port I get a message telling me that "Could not open connection to the host, on port 23 connection failed."  And port 23 isn't what I'm trying to hit.

..:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:..

Re: It was working...then it wasn't

C. K. Hutler
So I've done some more work on this error.  I went back and reconfigured my
router to make sure everything was on the up and up there.  Now if I take my
Norton firewall out of the equation (by turning it off) I can use the
RealVNC netttest (http://www.realvnc.com/cgi-bin/nettest.cgi) and get this
response:

The IP address requesting this web page is my.***.***.ip (REMOTE_ADDR)
Connecting to port 5900 ... succeeded.
Waiting for server to send version string... failed: (111, 'Connection
refused')

I'm still unable to get any response if I telnet to port 5900.  So I assume
that my issue resides with both my firewall settings and something else
(Norton Intrusion protection?).

Any thoughts?

Thanks again,
Craig

Even if I try to telnet into that port I get a message telling me that
"Could not open connection to the host, on port 23 connection failed."
And port 23 isn't what I'm trying to hit.

.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:..

Re: It was working...then it wasn't

C. K. Hutler
: I'm still unable to get any response if I telnet to port 5900.  So I
assume
: that my issue resides with both my firewall settings and something else
: (Norton Intrusion protection?).

I turned off Norton Intrusion and still no dice.  I'm not sure what to look
at next.

:
[...]
: ..:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:..
: [hidden email]
:
:
:
:
: ________________________________
:
: Need to know the score, the latest news, or you need your Hotmail(r)-get
: your "fix". Check it out. <http://www.msnmobilefix.com/Default.aspx>
:
:

RE: It was working...then it wasn't

Bob McConnell
>From the original "succeeded" message, the network stack on your
computer accepted the socket connection. But then it appears that
something else, such as the "firewall" software in that computer didn't
find the source IP or connection info in its white list and forced the
connection to close rather than let the VNC server take over and start
the handshake.

Bob McConnell

Re: It was working...then it wasn't

C. K. Hutler
After some fiddling with Norton I seem to be back up and running.

Thanks for your help!
-Craig