Issues with tightvnc / Fedora 6 / xinetd implementation

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Issues with tightvnc / Fedora 6 / xinetd implementation

egetchell

All,

 

I’m sure many of you have tackled this issue in the past, so I figured someone may be able to push me in the right direction.

 

I’m trying to allow Win32 tightVNC clients to access a Fedora 6 installation using xinetd and I'm having issues getting the clients to connect.  I've followed various tutorials, and so far, have done the following:

 

- Tight VNC

I installed tightvnc server, then verified by running vncserver and logging in via a client from a remote machine (I had to specify via the IP address and display number: x.x.x.x:1).

 

- xinetd

I installed and enabled xinetd, then verified xinetd functionality by configuring a telnet server (which was not previously installed - I checked) and connecting via telnet.

I added a vnc configuration file to the /etc/xinetd.d directory.  Core contents are:

service vnc-server1

{

        socket_type     = stream

        protocol        = tcp

        wait            = no

        user            = nobody

        server          = /usr/bin/Xvnc

        server_args     = -inetd -query localhost -fp tcp/localhost:7100 -once -geometry 1024x768 -depth 24 -ac -version

 

}

 

I added the service vnc-server1 to the /etc/services file for port 5950

I verified that the only_from option was commented out in the xinetd.conf file

 

XDM

I enabled (I think - see below) XDM by editing /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config file, and commented out the line DisplayManager.requestPort :0

I edited /etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess and uncommented the "any host can get a login window" line

I edited /etc/X11/xdm/xdmrc and applied the following changes:

[Xdmcp]

  Enable=true

  Port=177

 

XFS

I edited the /etc/X11/fs/config file and commented out the no-listen = tcp option

 

So, with that all done, and the machine rebooted, when I attempt to connect via the ip address and last two digits of the port: x.x.x.x:50, I get an immediate Connection Closed message.

 

I verified that the server is listening on port 5950 by telneting directly to that port.

 

I attempted to verify that XDM is working properly by issuing the following command:

X -query localhost : 1

This (according to various tutorials) should open a new display with a login prompt.  This actually opens the typical blank display with the good old "X" for a mouse cursor.

 

So at this point, I'm not sure where the issue may lurk and appreciate any ideas one may have.

 

Thanks,

 

Eric Getchell

 


-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Microsoft
Defy all challenges. Microsoft(R) Visual Studio 2005.
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/vse0120000070mrt/direct/01/
___________________________________________________________
TightVNC mailing list, [hidden email]
To change your subscription or to UNSUBSCRIBE, please visit
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/vnc-tight-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Issues with tightvnc / Fedora 6 / xinetd implementation

Klaus Franken
Am Montag, 1. Oktober 2007 schrieb Eric Getchell:
>
> I'm trying to allow Win32 tightVNC clients to access a Fedora 6
> installation using xinetd and I'm having issues getting the clients to
> connect.  I've followed various tutorials, and so far, have done the
> following:

> XDM
>
> I enabled (I think - see below) XDM by editing /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config
> file, and commented out the line DisplayManager.requestPort :0
>
> I edited /etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess and uncommented the "any host can get a login
> window" line

not necessary: your logging in from localhost!

>
> I edited /etc/X11/xdm/xdmrc and applied the following changes:
>
> [Xdmcp]
>
>   Enable=true
>
>   Port=177

Are you sure that you're running xdm ?!
On Fedora normally gdm is used.

Check /etc/X11/prefdm and /etc/sysconfig/desktop.

If you are using gdm as xdm-replacement (like me):
- start "gdmsetup" or edit /etc/gdm/custom.conf:
        [xdmcp]
        Enable=true
- make sure to restart "gdm",  for example go to runlevel 3 (init 3) and start
with a shell: "/etc/X11/prefdm --nodaemon"


> I attempted to verify that XDM is working properly by issuing the following
> command:
>
> X -query localhost : 1

(there is a blank to much...)

Yes: I'm testing with:  Xnest -query localhost :2

>
> This (according to various tutorials) should open a new display with a
> login prompt.  This actually opens the typical blank display with the good
> old "X" for a mouse cursor.
>
>
>
> So at this point, I'm not sure where the issue may lurk and appreciate any
> ideas one may have.

It seems a xdm/gdm/kdm issue....

Klaus


--
        Klaus Franken, StrukturPunkt
        E-Mail: [hidden email]
        PGP: 004B 1943 129B 5808 E714  296B E022 4E82 5814 A05E
        USt-IdNr.: DE814022149
        WWW: http://www.StrukturPunkt.de/
        Post: Gartenstr. 18, 90762 Fürth
        Tel: 0911 / 517 9999 0

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Microsoft
Defy all challenges. Microsoft(R) Visual Studio 2005.
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/vse0120000070mrt/direct/01/
___________________________________________________________
TightVNC mailing list, [hidden email]
To change your subscription or to UNSUBSCRIBE, please visit
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/vnc-tight-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Issues with tightvnc / Fedora 6 / xinetd implementation

Michael D. Setzer II
In reply to this post by egetchell
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Not sure why you are trying this method, but I've used the following me with
my various fedora machines.

You can use the vnservers file in the /etc/sysconfig directlory.
The include and example line, but you can have multiple sessions started.

VNCSERVERS="50:user1 70:user2 etc..."
You then con into Admin and edit services to start the vncservice at boot.

You will need to run vncviewer :port for each user to create the .vnc and
settings. Then go into the .vnc (period vnc) and edit the xstartup file, and
uncomment the two lines it states to get a normal screen instead of the X.

Also, recommend setting the screen saver on all to blank, since the sessions
are running on boot, and if it kicks in the 3D type screen savers it will kill
your CPU cycles running multiple screen savers. Also, when the users
connect they should just close the session and not log out. I've had as many
as 20 running on one system when I had only the one machine running
linux.

Perhaps you are trying to do something else.


On 1 Oct 2007 at 8:57, Eric Getchell wrote:

>
> All,
>
> I´m sure many of you have tackled this issue in the past, so I figured someone may be able to
> push me in the right direction.
>
> I´m trying to allow Win32 tightVNC clients to access a Fedora 6 installation using xinetd and I'm
> having issues getting the clients to connect. I've followed various tutorials, and so far, have done
> the following:
>
> - Tight VNC
> I installed tightvnc server, then verified by running vncserver and logging in via a client from a
> remote machine (I had to specify via the IP address and display number: x.x.x.x:1).
>
> - xinetd
> I installed and enabled xinetd, then verified xinetd functionality by configuring a telnet server
> (which was not previously installed - I checked) and connecting via telnet.
> I added a vnc configuration file to the /etc/xinetd.d directory. Core contents are:
> service vnc-server1
> {
> socket_type = stream
> protocol = tcp
> wait = no
> user = nobody
> server = /usr/bin/Xvnc
>  server_args= -inetd -query localhost -fp tcp/localhost:7100 -once -geometry 1024x768 -
> depth 24 -ac -version
>
> }
>
> I added the service vnc-server1 to the /etc/services file for port 5950
> I verified that the only_from option was commented out in the xinetd.conf file
>
> XDM
> I enabled (I think - see below) XDM by editing /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config file, and commented out
> the line DisplayManager.requestPort :0
> I edited /etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess and uncommented the "any host can get a login window" line
> I edited /etc/X11/xdm/xdmrc and applied the following changes:
> [Xdmcp]
>  Enable=true
>  Port=177
>
> XFS
> I edited the /etc/X11/fs/config file and commented out the no-listen = tcp option
>
> So, with that all done, and the machine rebooted, when I attempt to connect via the ip address
> and last two digits of the port: x.x.x.x:50, I get an immediate Connection Closed message.
>
> I verified that the server is listening on port 5950 by telneting directly to that port.
>
> I attempted to verify that XDM is working properly by issuing the following command:
> X -query localhost : 1
> This (according to various tutorials) should open a new display with a login prompt. This actually
> opens the typical blank display with the good old "X" for a mouse cursor.
>
> So at this point, I'm not sure where the issue may lurk and appreciate any ideas one may have.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Eric Getchell
>
>


+----------------------------------------------------------+
  Michael D. Setzer II -  Computer Science Instructor      
  Guam Community College  Computer Center                  
  mailto:[hidden email]                            
  mailto:[hidden email]
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins                        
+----------------------------------------------------------+

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu (Original)
Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
Processing time:  32 years, 290 days, 12 hours, 58 minutes
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC@HOME CREDITS
SETI 3,754,268.251426 | EINSTEIN 1,179,513.322008 | ROSETTA
243,275.666696


-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: PGP 6.5.8 -- QDPGP 2.61c
Comment: http://community.wow.net/grt/qdpgp.html

iQA/AwUBRwBvZSzGQcr/2AKZEQKPlQCg1W5GQO74IClAPiluHdPM3N63zAsAoJBz
3FX+AXGZQmyB0UBLSDyYUyFm
=krRw
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Microsoft
Defy all challenges. Microsoft(R) Visual Studio 2005.
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/vse0120000070mrt/direct/01/
___________________________________________________________
TightVNC mailing list, [hidden email]
To change your subscription or to UNSUBSCRIBE, please visit
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/vnc-tight-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Issues with tightvnc / Fedora 6 / xinetd implementation

egetchell
In reply to this post by egetchell
Michael,

I'm using xinetd to trigger a vnc server instance to start on demand, so we
don't have numerous instances sitting idle chewing server resources.

You present a very viable fallback scenario which I'll implement if I don't
make headway on this.

Thanks,

Eric

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael D. Setzer II [mailto:[hidden email]]
Sent: Monday, October 01, 2007 9:54 AM
To: Eric Getchell; [hidden email]
Subject: Re: Issues with tightvnc / Fedora 6 / xinetd implementation

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Not sure why you are trying this method, but I've used the following me with

my various fedora machines.

You can use the vnservers file in the /etc/sysconfig directlory.
The include and example line, but you can have multiple sessions started.

VNCSERVERS="50:user1 70:user2 etc..."
You then con into Admin and edit services to start the vncservice at boot.

You will need to run vncviewer :port for each user to create the .vnc and
settings. Then go into the .vnc (period vnc) and edit the xstartup file, and

uncomment the two lines it states to get a normal screen instead of the X.

Also, recommend setting the screen saver on all to blank, since the sessions

are running on boot, and if it kicks in the 3D type screen savers it will
kill
your CPU cycles running multiple screen savers. Also, when the users
connect they should just close the session and not log out. I've had as many

as 20 running on one system when I had only the one machine running
linux.

Perhaps you are trying to do something else.





-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Microsoft
Defy all challenges. Microsoft(R) Visual Studio 2005.
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/vse0120000070mrt/direct/01/
___________________________________________________________
TightVNC mailing list, [hidden email]
To change your subscription or to UNSUBSCRIBE, please visit
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/vnc-tight-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Issues with tightvnc / Fedora 6 / xinetd implementation

Michael D. Setzer II
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 1 Oct 2007 at 11:08, Eric Getchell wrote:

From:           "Eric Getchell" <[hidden email]>
To:             "'Michael D. Setzer II'" <[hidden email]>,
        <[hidden email]>
Subject:         RE: Issues with tightvnc / Fedora 6 / xinetd
implementation
Date sent:       Mon, 1 Oct 2007 11:08:05 -0400

> Michael,
>
> I'm using xinetd to trigger a vnc server instance to start on demand, so we
> don't have numerous instances sitting idle chewing server resources.
>

Not sure how much resources it uses or if any when it is inactive. I generally
run SETI (Boinc) on the systems to use the CPU cycles not being used by
other things, and with the exception of having the screen saver kick in, didn't
see it using anything in the way of CPU percentage, and not sure about the
Ram that might be used. Also, since the it is loaded at boot up, the
connection takes you immediately to the desktop (actually to the password
screen for the blanked screen).

Also, you can disconnect from the session by just closing the vncviewer, and
then come right back later. Not sure if the xinet leaves the session going or
starts a new one when you reconnect.

Good luck regardless.

P.S. I've also setup Stunnelling with some of the machines to add more
security.


> You present a very viable fallback scenario which I'll implement if I don't
> make headway on this.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Eric
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Michael D. Setzer II [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Sent: Monday, October 01, 2007 9:54 AM
> To: Eric Getchell; [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: Issues with tightvnc / Fedora 6 / xinetd implementation
>
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> Not sure why you are trying this method, but I've used the following me with
>
> my various fedora machines.
>
> You can use the vnservers file in the /etc/sysconfig directlory.
> The include and example line, but you can have multiple sessions started.
>
> VNCSERVERS="50:user1 70:user2 etc..."
> You then con into Admin and edit services to start the vncservice at boot.
>
> You will need to run vncviewer :port for each user to create the .vnc and
> settings. Then go into the .vnc (period vnc) and edit the xstartup file, and
>
> uncomment the two lines it states to get a normal screen instead of the X.
>
> Also, recommend setting the screen saver on all to blank, since the sessions
>
> are running on boot, and if it kicks in the 3D type screen savers it will
> kill
> your CPU cycles running multiple screen savers. Also, when the users
> connect they should just close the session and not log out. I've had as many
>
> as 20 running on one system when I had only the one machine running
> linux.
>
> Perhaps you are trying to do something else.
>
>
>
>
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> This SF.net email is sponsored by: Microsoft
> Defy all challenges. Microsoft(R) Visual Studio 2005.
> http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/vse0120000070mrt/direct/01/
> ___________________________________________________________
> TightVNC mailing list, [hidden email]
> To change your subscription or to UNSUBSCRIBE, please visit
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/vnc-tight-list


+----------------------------------------------------------+
  Michael D. Setzer II -  Computer Science Instructor      
  Guam Community College  Computer Center                  
  mailto:[hidden email]                            
  mailto:[hidden email]
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins                        
+----------------------------------------------------------+

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu (Original)
Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
Processing time:  32 years, 290 days, 12 hours, 58 minutes
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC@HOME CREDITS
SETI 3,754,268.251426 | EINSTEIN 1,179,513.322008 | ROSETTA
243,275.666696


-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: PGP 6.5.8 -- QDPGP 2.61c
Comment: http://community.wow.net/grt/qdpgp.html

iQA/AwUBRwDM/SzGQcr/2AKZEQL/YQCfSnEe28D3GSzqhTy8gICPL38jCRAAoMQR
MO1cVE9jC1V28w7k/eVbShYV
=pqFy
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Microsoft
Defy all challenges. Microsoft(R) Visual Studio 2005.
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/vse0120000070mrt/direct/01/
___________________________________________________________
TightVNC mailing list, [hidden email]
To change your subscription or to UNSUBSCRIBE, please visit
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/vnc-tight-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Issues with tightvnc / Fedora 6 / xinetd implementation

egetchell
In reply to this post by egetchell
All,

I'd like to thank you for your help.  I was able to determine the issues I
was facing:

I had done myself a disservice by installing both KDE and GNOME, thus
confusing myself as to which desktop manager was using what configuration
files.  Klaus pointed out I had missed the GDM configuration files.

Once I determined how to enable logging (create the /var/adm directory and
give it proper permissions), it became evident that neither the fonts nor
rgb.txt was being resolved.

Once I added these to the vncserver configuration for xinetd (using the -fp
and -co parameters), I can now report success.

Thanks again everyone.

Eric



-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Microsoft
Defy all challenges. Microsoft(R) Visual Studio 2005.
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/vse0120000070mrt/direct/01/
___________________________________________________________
TightVNC mailing list, [hidden email]
To change your subscription or to UNSUBSCRIBE, please visit
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/vnc-tight-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Issues with tightvnc / Fedora 6 / xinetd implementation

Bugzilla from rdieter@math.unl.edu
In reply to this post by egetchell
Eric Getchell wrote:

> I'm sure many of you have tackled this issue in the past, so I figured
> someone may be able to push me in the right direction.

Enable XDMCP in your default LOGINMANAGER, which likely isn't xdm (it
defaults to gdm if it is installed).
/etc/sysconfig/desktop
LOGINMANAGER=
if defined, sets your default.

You might also want to look into installing vnc-ltsp-config which does a lot
of this manual config stuff for you (enabling use of the default
(real)vnc).  With it, you also enable XDMCP, and then
/sbin/chkconfig vncts on
tweaking
/etc/sysconfig/vncts
to taste, and you should be good to go.

-- Rex


-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Microsoft
Defy all challenges. Microsoft(R) Visual Studio 2005.
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/vse0120000070mrt/direct/01/
___________________________________________________________
TightVNC mailing list, [hidden email]
To change your subscription or to UNSUBSCRIBE, please visit
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/vnc-tight-list