How to upgrade remotely

Angel Castillo (Ceproban)
I'm excited to see Version 2.0 for windows almost here.

I am now thinking of the deployment effort. I have several computers in
remote locations. All are running TightVNC 1.3.9 so I could send the install
file over a TVNC connection.

My question is, what is the proper way to do a remote upgrade from 1.3.9 to
2.0 ? I know it's not ready but let's say it is or use 2.0 Beta 4 for
illustration purposes.

Thanks Constantin

Re: How to upgrade remotely

Michael D. Setzer II

From: "Angel Castillo" <[hidden email]>
To: <[hidden email]>
Subject: How to upgrade remotely
Date sent: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 10:00:36 -0600

> I'm excited to see Version 2.0 for windows almost here.
>
> I am now thinking of the deployment effort. I have several computers in
> remote locations. All are running TightVNC 1.3.9 so I could send the install
> file over a TVNC connection.
>
> My question is, what is the proper way to do a remote upgrade from 1.3.9 to
> 2.0 ? I know it's not ready but let's say it is or use 2.0 Beta 4 for
> illustration purposes.

I'd strongly recommend doing a local test do a 1.3.9 upgrade to 2.
When I did my first upgrade of a machine when 2.0 came out, I upgraded a
remote machine since my home machines were linux systems.

On the upgrade from 1.3.9 to 2, there is a check box to change password
and set an admin password access. By default on this upgrade that is
checked, and I lost access to the remote machine after starting the process.
Not a problem, since I could see it at work the next day, and it was sitting at
that screen, and then worked fine.

Later upgrades from that version to newer betas work fine. The box is not
checked, and you do loose access while it loads the new version, but you
can then just reconnect.

There may be way around this, but that is what I noticed. I'm currently 17
time zones behind my systems (Guam GMT+10 to Nevada -7).

So test it locally and make sure it doesn't cause an issue.

> Thanks Constantin

  Michael D. Setzer II -  Computer Science Instructor
  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:[hidden email]
  mailto:[hidden email]
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu (Original)
Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
Processing time:  32 years, 290 days, 12 hours, 58 minutes
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC@HOME CREDITS
SETI         9763292.210122   |   EINSTEIN     4142549.740851
ROSETTA      2027290.462519   |   ABC          1443090.360569

Re: How to upgrade remotely

Angel Castillo (Ceproban)
Thanks , I will try it locally first for sure!
> On 29 Jun 2010 at 10:00, Angel Castillo wrote:
>
> From: "Angel Castillo" <[hidden email]>
> To: <[hidden email]>
> Subject: How to upgrade remotely
> Date sent: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 10:00:36 -0600
>
>> I'm excited to see Version 2.0 for windows almost here.
>>
>> I am now thinking of the deployment effort. I have several computers in
>> remote locations. All are running TightVNC 1.3.9 so I could send the
>> install
>> file over a TVNC connection.
>>
>> My question is, what is the proper way to do a remote upgrade from 1.3.9
>> 2.0 ? I know it's not ready but let's say it is or use 2.0 Beta 4 for
>> illustration purposes.
>
> I'd strongly recommend doing a local test do a 1.3.9 upgrade to 2.
> When I did my first upgrade of a machine when 2.0 came out, I upgraded a
> remote machine since my home machines were linux systems.
>
> On the upgrade from 1.3.9 to 2, there is a check box to change password
> and set an admin password access. By default on this upgrade that is
> checked, and I lost access to the remote machine after starting the
> process.
> Not a problem, since I could see it at work the next day, and it was
> sitting at
> that screen, and then worked fine.
>
> Later upgrades from that version to newer betas work fine. The box is not
> checked, and you do loose access while it loads the new version, but you
> can then just reconnect.
>
> There may be way around this, but that is what I noticed. I'm currently 17
> time zones behind my systems (Guam GMT+10 to Nevada -7).
>
> So test it locally and make sure it doesn't cause an issue.
>

>> Thanks Constantin

>  Michael D. Setzer II -  Computer Science Instructor
>  Guam Community College  Computer Center
>  mailto:[hidden email]
>  mailto:[hidden email]
>  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
>  Guam - Where America's Day Begins
>
> http://setiathome.berkeley.edu (Original)
> Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
> Processing time:  32 years, 290 days, 12 hours, 58 minutes
> (Total Hours: 287,489)
>
> BOINC@HOME CREDITS
> SETI         9763292.210122   |   EINSTEIN     4142549.740851
> ROSETTA      2027290.462519   |   ABC          1443090.360569

Re: How to upgrade remotely

Hello Angel,

> My question is, what is the proper way to do a remote upgrade from 1.3.9 to
> 2.0 ?

New version can be installed remotely without problems but you'll have
to configure it to listen on different TCP ports. If ports numbers are
different, then 1.x and 2.x can coexist on the same machine, so it
should be easy to install new one without removing the old version. Just
make sure to answer No when the installer will ask if you wish to remove
TightVNC 1.3.9.

Once new version is installed and running fine, it should be safe to
remove the old version (when connected via the new one).

> I know it's not ready but let's say it is or use 2.0 Beta 4 for
> illustration purposes.

Sorry for the delay with the answer -- we've released three TightVNC
2.0.x versions since your original question.