Help with connection please

Rock-3
Hi,

I have the latest stable vnc-tight on the XP box and the unstable one
from about 2 years ago on the laptop.

It says connected however I don't get the password panel and then get a
not connected panel.

Two thi gs have changed with my set up since it last worked.

I have a new Billion 6404VGP router with default Firewall.

I now have latest 1.3.9 on XP box and still the unstable version on the
laptop.

I am trying to get from laptop to XP box.

What do I need to check please?

Thanks,

oz

Re: Help with connection please

> I have a new Billion 6404VGP router with default Firewall.

Try to temporarily disable the firewall to see if that was the reason.

> I now have latest 1.3.9 on XP box and still the unstable version on the
> laptop.

Also, I think it might be a good idea to upgrade to the latest version
on the laptop as well.

Re: Help with connection please

Michael D. Setzer II
On other issue is the OS firewall that might also be an issue. With both XP
and Fedora I have to open up the port 5900 (or other port) for it to be able to
connect. So, it may not be and issue with the port mapping or the router
firewall, but could be the OS or both.

So check the XP firewall setting, and if you have norton's stuff it also causes
issues. I upgraded my mom's machine this summer, and the VNC stopped
working. Turned out norton setup some firewall, with the antivirus update,
and I had to hunt thru it to find where to open the port up.

Date sent:       Wed, 24 Dec 2008 12:16:30 +1100
From:           rock <[hidden email]>
To:             [hidden email]
Subject:         Help with connection please

> Hi,
>
> I have the latest stable vnc-tight on the XP box and the unstable one
> from about 2 years ago on the laptop.
>
> It says connected however I don't get the password panel and then get a
> not connected panel.
>
> Two thi gs have changed with my set up since it last worked.
>
> I have a new Billion 6404VGP router with default Firewall.
>
> I now have latest 1.3.9 on XP box and still the unstable version on the
> laptop.
>
> I am trying to get from laptop to XP box.
>
> What do I need to check please?
>
> Thanks,
>
> oz

  Michael D. Setzer II -  Computer Science Instructor
  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:[hidden email]
  mailto:[hidden email]
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu (Original)
Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
Processing time:  32 years, 290 days, 12 hours, 58 minutes
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC@HOME CREDITS
SETI 7,048,474.3401 | EINSTEIN 2,194,976.5609 | ROSETTA
725,947.7936