Failed to connect to server

Clueless in Seattle-2
Hi again,

Some months ago I managed to get TightVNC up and running between my
desktop and laptop via a Win2k peer-to-peer network.  But I was unable
to get a readable display on the laptop so gave up.

Today I decided to give it another try.  I've got both computers sitting
side by side on my worktable, connected via peer-to-peer, with TightVNC
Server running on my desktop computer.

But when I try to run TightVNC Viewer on the laptop, I get this message:

  "Failed to connect to the server."

I'd be grateful for some help troubleshooting this problem.  I'm
disabled by multiple chronic illnesses that make it exceedingly
difficult for me to sit up at my worktable for more than a few minutes,
so I'm trying to get the laptop hooked up so I can access my desktop
computer from bed.

Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"

Re: Failed to connect to server

David Hawke
Clueless in Seattle wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> Some months ago I managed to get TightVNC up and running between my
> desktop and laptop via a Win2k peer-to-peer network.  But I was unable
> to get a readable display on the laptop so gave up.
>
> Today I decided to give it another try.  I've got both computers sitting
> side by side on my worktable, connected via peer-to-peer, with TightVNC
> Server running on my desktop computer.
>
> But when I try to run TightVNC Viewer on the laptop, I get this message:
>
>   "Failed to connect to the server."

OK - so how are you trying to connect to the server
- by hostname - if so - does it resolve (ie can you ping the hostname
[try the command   ping servername   from a DOS window where servername
is the hostname of the server])

- by ip address -can you ping that address

Also do the obvious - check that the VNC server is actually running on
the serer (V icon in the taskbar).

David H

> I'd be grateful for some help troubleshooting this problem.  I'm
> disabled by multiple chronic illnesses that make it exceedingly
> difficult for me to sit up at my worktable for more than a few minutes,
> so I'm trying to get the laptop hooked up so I can access my desktop
> computer from bed.
>
> Will in Seattle
> a.k.a. "Clueless"

Re: Failed to connect to server

Clueless in Seattle-2
Hi Simon,

Yes, I'm running the free version of Zone Alarm (ZA) on both machines.
I'm fairly certain that back when I first tried TightVNC and was able to
get the viewer to connect to the server, I was also running ZA.  But, of
course, I've updated ZA, probably more than once since that time, and
did a clean install of ZA each time I upgraded it so any settings I made
for TightVNC will have been superseded..

I'm afraid I don't have a clue how to open port 5900.  Could you refer
me to a reference which explains how to do it?

I'm running Windows 2K Pro.  (I know.  Ancient technology.  But on my
tiny monthly Social Security check I've not been able to afford the
upgrade to XP, what with medical bills taking most of my check.  And I'm
not sure my likewise ancient computer would even be able to handle XP,
much less Vista.  Maybe its time to switch to Linux :o).

Simon Renshaw wrote:

> Is a firewall of some sort running on the remote machine?
>
> VNC need port 5900 (by default) to be open.
>
> Simon

Hi David H,

Thanks for the help.

I'm afraid I don't know what the hostname is or now to determine what it
is.   It's been many months since I first installed TightVNC and my
memory these days has gotten so bad I can't ever remember what I did
yesterday, much less months ago.  Could you tell me how to find out the
hostname and then how to determine if I'm trying to connect to the
server by hostname?

Ditto the IP address.

Yes, the Tight VNC icon appears in the systray of both machines.  When I
hover the mouse pointer over it on the desktop (server) a little box
appears with this text in it:  WinVNC - 66.109.193.81

Could that number be either the hostname or the IP address you mentioned?

Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"

Clueless in Seattle wrote:

> Hi David H,
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> I'm afraid I don't know what the hostname is or now to determine what
> it is.   It's been many months since I first installed TightVNC and my
> memory these days has gotten so bad I can't ever remember what I did
> yesterday, much less months ago.  Could you tell me how to find out
> the hostname and then how to determine if I'm trying to connect to the
> server by hostname?
>
> Ditto the IP address.
> Yes, the Tight VNC icon appears in the systray of both machines.  When
> I hover the mouse pointer over it on the desktop (server) a little box
> appears with this text in it:  WinVNC - 66.109.193.81

Right -that's the one (don't need to worry about hostname if you have
the IP address)

Note the IP address of the server - when you hover the mouse over the V
icon in the tray on the server - looks as though it is 66.109.193.181

Check what the IP address of the laptop is by doing the same on the
laptop - it should be similar but not the same.

Then use the server IP address as the IP to connect to from the laptop

Try that and let us know how you get on.

David H

> Could that number be either the hostname or the IP address you mentioned?
>
> Will in Seattle
> a.k.a. "Clueless"
>
> David Hawke wrote:
>> Clueless in Seattle wrote:
>>
>>> Hi again,
>>>
>>> Some months ago I managed to get TightVNC up and running between my
>>> desktop and laptop via a Win2k peer-to-peer network.  But I was
>>> unable to get a readable display on the laptop so gave up.
>>>
>>> Today I decided to give it another try.  I've got both computers
>>> sitting side by side on my worktable, connected via peer-to-peer,
>>> with TightVNC Server running on my desktop computer.
>>> But when I try to run TightVNC Viewer on the laptop, I get this
>>> message:
>>>
>>>   "Failed to connect to the server."
>>>
>> OK - so how are you trying to connect to the server
>> - by hostname - if so - does it resolve (ie can you ping the hostname
>> [try the command   ping servername   from a DOS window where servername
>> is the hostname of the server])
>>
>> - by ip address -can you ping that address
>>
>> Also do the obvious - check that the VNC server is actually running on
>> the serer (V icon in the taskbar).
>>

>> David H
>>
>>> I'd be grateful for some help troubleshooting this problem.  I'm
>>> disabled by multiple chronic illnesses that make it exceedingly
>>> difficult for me to sit up at my worktable for more than a few
>>> minutes, so I'm trying to get the laptop hooked up so I can access
>>> my desktop computer from bed.
>>>
>>> Will in Seattle
>>> a.k.a. "Clueless"

Re: Failed to connect to server

Scott C. Best
Will:

  Heya. Can you describe your "network setup" in a little
more detail? That is, you originally described it as a "Win2k
peer to peer" network. Can you provide more details? For example,
is your Internet connection via a DSL modem, but your PC plugs
into a WiFi router first? And the laptop connects wirelessly?
Things like that will help. :)

  Some more "debug suggestions" here:

http://faq.gotomyvnc.com/fom-serve/cache/4.html

cheers,