Display problem on VAIO laptop

Clueless in Seattle-2
I'm not able to get a legible display on my hand-me-down laptop when I
try to use TightVNC to access my desktop computer.  The display ends up
all smeary, as if thick vaseline had been smeared over the screen.

And the touch pad on the VAIO laptop doesn't work.

I'm sure that you'll want all manner of specific details such as the
kind of video cards and drivers, the version of TightVNC and the
operating system I'm using.

What other info will I have to collect together in order to provide you
guys with enough to go on to try to help me solve this problem?

Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"