Current development status?

Matt Campbell-9
Hello:

I'm wondering about the current status of TightVNC development.  In the
SVN repository, I see two trunks, /trunk and /orig/trunk.  I see that
/trunk is based on the RealVNC 4.1 code base and is apparently still a
work in progress (for example, the viewer's "new connection" dialog
doesn't display the TightVNC logo).  On the other hand, /orig/trunk is
based on the VNC 3.x code base.  What concerns me is that I see activity
on both.  Will these two code bases be used for different applications?
If not, it seems to me that this parallel development could slow the
project down.  But I'm a newbie here, so I could be wrong.

The most important question is: to which line of development should I
contribute?

Thanks in advance.

--
Matt Campbell
Lead Programmer

Re: Current development status?

astrand (Bugzilla)

> I'm wondering about the current status of TightVNC development.  In the
> SVN repository, I see two trunks, /trunk and /orig/trunk.  I see that
> /trunk is based on the RealVNC 4.1 code base and is apparently still a
> work in progress (for example, the viewer's "new connection" dialog
> doesn't display the TightVNC logo).  On the other hand, /orig/trunk is
> based on the VNC 3.x code base.  What concerns me is that I see activity
> on both.  Will these two code bases be used for different applications?
> If not, it seems to me that this parallel development could slow the
> project down.  But I'm a newbie here, so I could be wrong.
>
> The most important question is: to which line of development should I
> contribute?
/trunk is where most of the UNIX development happens. This code base will
be used for the UNIX vncviewer and Xvnc that will go into the next Fedora
(already in Rawhide), as well as the next version of ThinLinc. We will
also ship a Windows vncviewer based on this branch, built with MinGW.

As far as I know, noone is working on the Windows server (WinVNC) in
/trunk.

Constantin Kaplinsky knows the details of the other branches as well as
what branches the next TightVNC release will be based on.

Regards,
---
Peter Åstrand ThinLinc Chief Developer
Cendio AB http://www.cendio.com
Wallenbergs gata 4
583 30 Linköping Phone: +46-13-21 46 00

Re: Current development status?

Matt Campbell-9
The WinVNC server in /trunk is functional in user-mode on Vista, and
probably as a service on versions of Windows before Vista (I haven't
tried it in that mode).  I can do file transfer using the server and
viewer in /trunk.  I don't know TightVNC well enough to know what other
features might be missing from this branch.

--
Matt Campbell
Lead Programmer
Serotek Corporation
www.serotek.com

Re: Current development status?

Matt Campbell-9
Hello:

Out of curiosity, is there any active development on the Unix
vncviewer?  I supposed not, because there are other VNC viewers that use
mainstream GUI toolkits (e.g. Vinagre for GNOME).  But seeing that
vncviewer is going into Fedora and that Red Hat is involved with
TightVNC, I have to wonder.  What features of TightVNC's Unix VNC viewer
distinguish it from the alternatives?

Thanks again.

--
Matt Campbell
Lead Programmer
Serotek Corporation
www.serotek.com

Re: Current development status?

Adam Tkac
On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 10:21:32AM -0600, Matt Campbell wrote:
> Hello:
>
> Out of curiosity, is there any active development on the Unix
> vncviewer?  I supposed not, because there are other VNC viewers that use
> mainstream GUI toolkits (e.g. Vinagre for GNOME).  But seeing that
> vncviewer is going into Fedora and that Red Hat is involved with
> TightVNC, I have to wonder.  What features of TightVNC's Unix VNC viewer
> distinguish it from the alternatives?

TightVNC viewer doesn't use any high-level toolkit (qt/gtk) so it is
is more lightweight than vinagre. Feel free to add any feature to
viewer, it is under active development.

Btw if one person with @redhat address sometimes send a patch it
doesn't mean the whole RH is involved and viewer has to be gnomized ;)

Regards, Adam

--
Adam Tkac, Red Hat, Inc.

Re: Current development status?

Hello Matt,

> I'm wondering about the current status of TightVNC development.  In
> the SVN repository, I see two trunks, /trunk and /orig/trunk.  I see
> that /trunk is based on the RealVNC 4.1 code base and is apparently
> still a work in progress (for example, the viewer's "new connection"
> dialog doesn't display the TightVNC logo).  On the other hand,
> /orig/trunk is based on the VNC 3.x code base.  What concerns me is
> that I see activity on both.  Will these two code bases be used for
> different applications?

Future versions of TightVNC for Windows will be based on /orig/trunk,
while most Unix development happens in /trunk. I would not describe the
reasons in details, but we do have such reasons.

> The most important question is: to which line of development should I
>  contribute?

Currently, we don't accept changes to /orig/trunk as major changes are
likely to show up there. The development in /trunk is open,
contributions are welcome there.