Connects but no response

Steve Garcia
I'm trying to connect *from* and XP Pro installation of TightVNC *to* a
Windows 2000 installation.

What seems to be happening is that the connection is made, but we never
get the opportunity to authenticate, so it just sits there.

The two machines were originally set up side by side on the same subnet.
 Everything worked fine.  I then moved the target machine across town
and put it behind a Linksys router/firewall.  I opened up port 5900
(actually, 5900 to 5910) and fired up the server on the target machine.
 The VNCViewer on the XP machine was fired up and pointed to the target
machine.

It announces that it is connected, but never pops up the dialog box to
accept the password.  The target machine never displays any evidence
that it is being connected to (none of the wallpaper changes, etc.)
However, in desperation I installed Wireshark on it and I *do* see VNC
packets being accepted.

If I turn off the server, the viewer errors out when I try to connect,
so it's obvious that it *is* seeing the other end.  www.gotomyvnc.com is
happy with my setup (all 10 ports.)

I get no error messages from either end, but we don't have an effective
connection.

Is there something obvious that I may be missing?

--
Steve Garcia
[hidden email]

Re: Connects but no response

Steve Garcia
Some more information -- I have tried setting up a VNC connection over
ssh to see if it's a port issue.  I have a similar situation with SSH --
it works fine locally (on the same subnet) but fails to make a good
connection from outside.  I can't even make the SSH connection remotely,
much less run VNC though the tunnel.  It *does* make the connection, but
it doesn't finish it.

I have the computer hooked to a switch and then to the Linksys router,
which acts as a firewall.  The Linksys hooks to the DSL modem, which
itself appears to be a router, but with no firewall capability, but that
does mean that we traverse two internal IP addresses as we come in from
the  outside.

Steve Garcia wrote:

> I'm trying to connect *from* an XP Pro installation of TightVNC *to* a
> Windows 2000 installation.
>
> What seems to be happening is that the connection is made, but we never
> get the opportunity to authenticate, so it just sits there.
>
> The two machines were originally set up side by side on the same subnet.
>  Everything worked fine.  I then moved the target machine across town
> and put it behind a Linksys router/firewall.  I opened up port 5900
> (actually, 5900 to 5910) and fired up the server on the target machine.
>  The VNCViewer on the XP machine was fired up and pointed to the target
> machine.
>
> It announces that it is connected, but never pops up the dialog box to
> accept the password.  The target machine never displays any evidence
> that it is being connected to (none of the wallpaper changes, etc.)
> However, in desperation I installed Wireshark on it and I *do* see VNC
> packets being accepted.
>
> If I turn off the server, the viewer errors out when I try to connect,
> so it's obvious that it *is* seeing the other end.  www.gotomyvnc.com is
> happy with my setup (all 10 ports.)
>
> I get no error messages from either end, but we don't have an effective
> connection.
>
> Is there something obvious that I may be missing?

--
Steve Garcia
[hidden email]
Ignorance killed the cat; Curiosity was framed.

RE: Connects but no response

James Weatherall
Hi Steve,

Check that you are not trying to connect the VNC Viewer to the server's HTTP
port rather than it's RFB port by mistake.  The HTTP protocol is started by
the client, the RFB protocol by the server, so if you connect an RFB client
(viewer) to an HTTP server, they'll both just sit there for a while waiting
for the other to start things.

--
Wez @ RealVNC Ltd