Connecting through a D-Link router

P Stern
I can connect from outside to my home computer using tightVNC if I
bypass my home router, no problem.  However with the router in place it
seems impossible to connect.  I have set up the 'virtual server'
settings in my router (D-Link-604) to direct all port 5800 and 5900 data
to the right PC, but it simply isn't working.  Both the server and
viewer are set to use the default (5800 and 5900) ports by the way.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Thanks.

Pablo

RE: Connecting through a D-Link router

Bob McConnell
From: P Stern

> I can connect from outside to my home computer using tightVNC if I
> bypass my home router, no problem.  However with the router in place
it
> seems impossible to connect.  I have set up the 'virtual server'
> settings in my router (D-Link-604) to direct all port 5800 and 5900
data
> to the right PC, but it simply isn't working.  Both the server and
> viewer are set to use the default (5800 and 5900) ports by the way.
>
> Any ideas much appreciated.

Well, first of all, you don't really want to be running a raw VNC
connection over the Internet. You need to provide a secure pipe to pass
it through. I am not familiar with that particular router, but many have
the option to set up a VPN or SSH server that will allow you to tunnel
the VNC connection inside the encrypted socket. I use a PPTP VPN
connection into my home firewall (m0n0wll), and there is a New
Connection wizard that sets up MS-Windows as the client. I simply tell
it I want to log into the office.

Bob McConnell

Re: Connecting through a D-Link router

P Stern
I had made a stupid mistake in the D-Link configuration.  D-Link by default creates virtual server settings disabled (!) so I just had to enable them and it worked.

Thanks for the help though.  I've got Hamachi now, so more secure anyway.

Cheers.

Pablo

On 26/03/2009 12:56, [hidden email] wrote:
If it doesn't work through your router, then your port forwarding isn't set correctly.  There's nothing TightVNC can do about this.

Check your settings again and contact D-Link support if you're 100% certain you've configured it properly.  I found this guide you can check against (although it's for bittorrent, this should be the same process except different ports):  http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Dlink/DI-604/BitTorrent.htm

Also, I would highly recommend you not implement VNC this way.  VNC is VERY popular and every would-be hacker teenager runs port scanners to check for open 5800 & 5900 ports.  If you expose these ports to the internet on your computer, you WILL be targeted by script kiddies.  They may or may not be successful, but you'll still be dealing with the situation of having massive amounts of unwanted traffic targeting your IP address.

I highly recommend you implement somekind of secure connection by setting up an SSL tunnel or VPN.

Hamachi (Hamachi.cc) is a free and super easy to setup VPN solution, although it has the obvious downfall of being an additional piece of software you need to setup on every comptuer you want to be able to communicate to/from in advance.

Good luck, hope this helps!

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 7:33 AM, P Stern <[hidden email]> wrote:
I can connect from outside to my home computer using tightVNC if I
bypass my home router, no problem.  However with the router in place it
seems impossible to connect.  I have set up the 'virtual server'
settings in my router (D-Link-604) to direct all port 5800 and 5900 data
to the right PC, but it simply isn't working.  Both the server and
viewer are set to use the default (5800 and 5900) ports by the way.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Thanks.

Pablo

Re: Connecting through a D-Link router

Frank Bax
P Stern wrote:
>   I had made a stupid mistake in the D-Link configuration.  D-Link by
> default creates virtual server settings disabled (!) so I just had to
> enable them and it worked.

There is a reason those settings are disabled by default; because those
settings in VERY insecure!!  Anyone can now listen in on your
"conversation" and easily obtain your passwords.

You should setup a secure tunnel and use that instead.

Re: Connecting through a D-Link router

Geater80
Pleased to know about this information on vpn connection. There are lot of vpn service providers in market providing good service. Last month, took services of one of best vpn service and very much satisfied with their services.