Connect fine, desktop displayed - no mouse or keyboard control

Connect fine, desktop displayed - no mouse or keyboard control

Troy Smith-2
I'm running the server (not as a service) as administrator on home machine, i have port forwarding set up. The server is set to allow remote input.

Home machine: Vista Home Premium TightVNC
Work Machine: XP Professional SP2 TightVNC
iPhone: MochaVNC Lite

Using VNC on my iphone, when home on the same LAN as the home machine, i can connect to the home machine and control it.  (Iphone@home --> Home) Works

Using VNC on my iphone, when home on the same LAN as the home machine, i can connect to my WORK computer, which is at a different location across town, and then using the iphone, connect to my HOME pc using tightVNC on the WORK computer and have control of the home machine that way. (iphone@home-->Work-->Home) Works

Using my work computer, while at work, i can connect to my home computer, the desktop is displayed, but i have no input from the mouse or keyboard.
(work-->home) Doesn't Work

Using my iphone, while at work, i can connect to my home computer, the desktop is displayed, but i have no input from the mouse or keyboard.
(iphone@work-->home) Doesn't Work

Any ideas?

Re: Connect fine, desktop displayed - no mouse or keyboard control

Claudio Coletta-2
Hello,

> I'm running the server (not as a service) as administrator on home machine, i have port
> forwarding set up. The server is set to allow remote input.
>
> Home machine: Vista Home Premium TightVNC
> Work Machine: XP Professional SP2 TightVNC
> iPhone: MochaVNC Lite
>
> Using VNC on my iphone, when home on the same LAN as the home machine, i can connect to
> the home machine and control it.(Iphone@home --> Home) Works
>
> Using VNC on my iphone, when home on the same LAN as the home machine, i can connect to
> my WORK computer, which is at a different location across town, and then using the iphone,
> connect to my HOME pc using tightVNC on the WORK computer and have control of the home
> machine that way. (iphone@home-->Work-->Home) Works
>
> Using my work computer, while at work, i can connect to my home computer, the desktop is
> displayed, but i have no input from the mouse or keyboard.
> (work-->home) Doesn't Work
>
> Using my iphone, while at work, i can connect to my home computer, the desktop is displayed,
> but i have no input from the mouse or keyboard.
> (iphone@work-->home) Doesn't Work
>
> Any ideas?

            my 2 cent......

            When you try to connect from "work" to "home" (pc@work & iphone@work -> home) for the home PC the traffic data comes from the "gateway IP". Often this IP is treated in a "restricted way" by firewalls, do you have a firewall on home PC? if yes, look in the firewall configuration (first of all try to stop it).

Bye,
Claudio.

Re: Connect fine, desktop displayed - no mouse or keyboard control

Troy Smith-2
I only have the regular windows firewall (which does have exceptions for VNC) and whatever might be setup on my Netgear WPN824, which does not appear to have any firewall at all.

The confusing thing, is that if i use the iphone to control the work computer, then i can log onto the home computer and operate it. But if i use the work computer directly, it will log onto the home computer, but operates as if in view only.

I may have found the problem last night. When configuring the server on the home computer, i must have assumed that the 'view only' password entry was just a 're-enter your password' field because i entered the exact same password there as for the regular full access password. I've changed that password now, so we'll see if that fixes it.

Thanks for the ideas! :-)

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 1:37 AM, Claudio Coletta <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

> I'm running the server (not as a service) as administrator on home machine, i have port
> forwarding set up. The server is set to allow remote input.
>
> Home machine: Vista Home Premium TightVNC
> Work Machine: XP Professional SP2 TightVNC
> iPhone: MochaVNC Lite
>
> Using VNC on my iphone, when home on the same LAN as the home machine, i can connect to
> the home machine and control it.(Iphone@home --> Home) Works
>
> Using VNC on my iphone, when home on the same LAN as the home machine, i can connect to
> my WORK computer, which is at a different location across town, and then using the iphone,
> connect to my HOME pc using tightVNC on the WORK computer and have control of the home
> machine that way. (iphone@home-->Work-->Home) Works
>
> Using my work computer, while at work, i can connect to my home computer, the desktop is
> displayed, but i have no input from the mouse or keyboard.
> (work-->home) Doesn't Work
>
> Using my iphone, while at work, i can connect to my home computer, the desktop is displayed,
> but i have no input from the mouse or keyboard.
> (iphone@work-->home) Doesn't Work
>
> Any ideas?

            my 2 cent......

            When you try to connect from "work" to "home" (pc@work & iphone@work -> home) for the home PC the traffic data comes from the "gateway IP". Often this IP is treated in a "restricted way" by firewalls, do you have a firewall on home PC? if yes, look in the firewall configuration (first of all try to stop it).

Bye,
Claudio.

Re: Connect fine, desktop displayed - no mouse or keyboard control

Troy Smith-2
Just got to work and checked it out. Seems to be working fine. The problem must have been that i had the same password for view-only and for primary password, and i was given view-only access as a result.

Re: Connect fine, desktop displayed - no mouse or keyboard control

Rohit Patil
It most likely was the viewonly passwd. I had the same problem here
just now but all devices being on the same network at home. I was able
to connect, move the mouse but no other input (mouse or keyboard) was
being accepted by the server.

I came here to the mailing-list, looked at this email, changed both
the viewonly and the non-viewonly passwords. It works now.

Thank you!
-Rohit.