Client Connect

jamie96

Hi!

Before I mess with TightVNC, I wanted to ask a few questions. (ok, really just one, then if it is answered yes, I might ask how.)

Can tightvnc be used to connect two web clients together? Or do I have to make my friends download something when they want my help?
Jamie

Re: Client Connect

Arfin Greebly

Jamie,

TightVNC -- and, in fact, *all* flavors of VNC -- requires a server host
side.  In other words, there has to be something installed at the host end
(server side) to share the screen buffer with the client (remote side).

So, if you have a friend who's having trouble, and needs you to see his
screen to help out, he has to be running a VNC server before you can
connect with any client.  The connection mode can either be direct (you
establish the connection to his address) or "listen mode" where the host
side establishes the connection with your address.

Your friend would only have to download and install TightVNC once, and you
can connect any number of times after that.  He, of course, controls the
access (passwords etc.) from the host/server side, in case he's nervous
about that.

Two clients will not talk to one another, because neither of them is
sharing a screen (or "session") buffer for the other to view.

[I should mention, though, that it is possible to connect two or more VNC
clients to the same VNC server (host side).]

Of course, the simple connection scenario assumes a direct Internet
connection requiring no router configuration.  (Setting up routers for VNC
access is a different topic.)

Hope this helps.

~~ Garry