Quantcast

Choppy Response Time and Blank (white) Chrome Window

Choppy Response Time and Blank (white) Chrome Window

Peter Gottschalk
Here's a head-scratcher. I'm running TightVNC server (latest) on a Samsung laptop with Win 10 Home, AMD A6-4400M, 4 gig, Radeon HD graphics on a wired home network. I use the Samsung as my file server and have it out of the way.

With the laptop "open" (ie display is on), TightVNC works like a champ from a Dell client. Its fast and I can use Google Chrome, no problems.

With the laptop "closed" (ie display is off, but windows is still running), everything slows way down, and when I open Google Chrome, all I get is a white window. Edge displays just fine.

Anyone seen this before? What's the difference to TightVNC server whether the display on or off?

Thanks, Peter

Re: Choppy Response Time and Blank (white) Chrome Window

B. S.
Check your battery / power settings.

e.g. Turn off display when lid closed.

I'd guess it turns off the entire graphic subsystem / chip ... so has no
display to mirror.

On 11/26/2016 05:40 PM, Peter Gottschalk wrote:

> Here's a head-scratcher. I'm running TightVNC server (latest) on a Samsung
> laptop with Win 10 Home, AMD A6-4400M, 4 gig, Radeon HD graphics on a wired
> home network. I use the Samsung as my file server and have it out of the
> way.
>
> With the laptop "open" (ie display is on), TightVNC works like a champ from
> a Dell client. Its fast and I can use Google Chrome, no problems.
>
> With the laptop "closed" (ie display is off, but windows is still running),
> everything slows way down, and when I open Google Chrome, all I get is a
> white window. Edge displays just fine.
>
> Anyone seen this before? What's the difference to TightVNC server whether
> the display on or off?
>
> Thanks, Peter

Re: Choppy Response Time and Blank (white) Chrome Window

B. S.
Of course you set the display to turn off when the lid is closed.

You miss my point ... there is a difference between powering down the
display, and powering down the entire graphics subsystem. (Whether you
are able to prevent the latter or not is a different story.)

I do not experience what you are experiencing. I have not seen similar
experiences reported here. Which means nothing (as this list is probably
not the most prevalent discussion nexus), but I do expect if what you
are experiencing was particularly widely experienced it likely would
have crossed the wires. Probably.

So, like I said,
 > Check your battery / power settings.
 >
 > e.g. Turn off display when lid closed.
 >
 > I'd guess it turns off the entire graphic subsystem / chip ... so has
 > no display to mirror.

See if there is a setting for graphic subsystem vs display. Check your
BIOS settings too - tickling memory is something about Sx power states.
e.g.
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa373229(v=vs.85).aspx
, and (unrelated to VNC) running in to low power states turning off usb
or network and preventing waking up / network backup jobs.

Report what you see as being able to be controlled / options - perhaps
someone can spot something different from their own successful use, and
so be able to help you with your issue.

IIRC, vnc mirrors a display - if there is no display to mirror, then vnc
is SoL. And if there is no display, no need to power a graphics chip,
makes a certain amount of sense. So: