Cannot get connected

Wayne-53
Hello all
I have been using tightvnc here on my local network and can connect to all of my computers on my local network.
I have a friend that I was trying to setup to remote control his computer. So I have loaded the server and
1. Changed the passwords
2. Went into the router and enabled ports 5500, 5800, 5900 and then put in the static IP in the port forward info
3 Went into windows firewall and turned ports on for 5500, 5800, 5900
4. Found the IP for the dsl modem
5 Run the viewer with IP:5800/
6 Still no connection all I can get is
Failed to connect to server ( IP::5800)

Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks
Wayne

03.jpg (8K) Download Attachment

RE: Cannot get connected

Bob McConnell

Re: Cannot get connected

C. K. Hutler
>: If you are doing this over the Internet, which is what it sounds like,
: you really should use SSH to create a secure connection between your
: location and your friend

Which begs the question is there a quick bullet list how-to for using SSH
with TVNC?  The few post/docs I've seen were rather confusing.

-Craig

:
: Anyone got any ideas?
: Thanks
: Wayne
: The viewer connects on port 5900. That is the only one you need to allow
: through the router and firewall. 5800 is for the HTTP server, which you
: probably don't need. But you would use a browser to connect to that
: port.
:
: If you are doing this over the Internet, which is what it sounds like,
: you really should use SSH to create a secure connection between your
: location and your friend. Otherwise everything is in plain text and can
: be picked up with a sniffer anywhere along the route.
:
: Bob McConnell
:
: -------------------------------------------------------------------------
: This SF.net email is sponsored by: Microsoft
: Defy all challenges. Microsoft(R) Visual Studio 2008.
: http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/vse0120000070mrt/direct/01/
: ___________________________________________________________
: TightVNC mailing list, [hidden email]
: To change your subscription or to UNSUBSCRIBE, please visit
: https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/vnc-tight-list
:

RE: Cannot get connected

Bob McConnell

>: If you are doing this over the Internet, which is what it sounds
like,
>: you really should use SSH to create a secure connection between your
>: location and your friend

> Which begs the question is there a quick bullet list how-to for using
SSH
> with TVNC?  The few post/docs I've seen were rather confusing.
>
> -Craig

The setup details vary depending on which SSH client and server you use.
I provided the setup information for the Putty client on MS-Windows last
week in this venue. That should be available in the list archives.

The requirement that is common to all clients is the need to configure
forwarding for the ports you want to use over the SSH connection. Then
after you open the SSH socket and have logged into that server, connect
the VNC viewer to the local port, using localhost or 127.0.0.1 as the IP
address. Some SSH clients will also forward connections from other
systems, but that usually requires allowing remote connections.

Bob McConnell