Cannot connect to PC running XP PRO

fp-4
I have been using TightVNC for about 45 days now and find it
very nice and helpful.  I have it running on a MS-WIN 2003 and
have not ran into any problems.

Today, I installed it on a laptop I am sending my mother overseas
(I'm sure you can all see why it is a good idea to set this laptop
with TightVNC) and have not been able to get the laptop to work.

The installation goes smooth without error.  I am able to view my
2003 server from the laptop.  I just cannot log on to the laptop
via HTTP nor the Viewer.

I then installed TightVNC in another laptop running XP Home and it
works there.

What must I do to have TightVNC work on XP Pro?

Thank you all in advance for your assistance!

Regards,

Jose Lerebours

Re: Cannot connect to PC running XP PRO

Constantin Kaplinsky
Hello Jose,

> I then installed TightVNC in another laptop running XP Home and it
> works there.
>
> What must I do to have TightVNC work on XP Pro?

I think XP Pro and XP Home should not differ in the way that would
affect TightVNC connectivity. In any case, the first think I'd check is
firewall settings.

Constantin wrote:

> > I then installed TightVNC in another laptop running XP Home and it
> > works there.
> >
> > What must I do to have TightVNC work on XP Pro?
>
> I think XP Pro and XP Home should not differ in the way that would
> affect TightVNC connectivity. In any case, the first think I'd check is
> firewall settings.

You know, I thought of this but then hoped that I could keep the XP built
in firewall running ... frankly, I don't even know it is but I will check.

In the even that it is, what then must I do?  Turn it off?

Thanks,

Jose

Re: Cannot connect to PC running XP PRO

Constantin Kaplinsky
Jose,

> You know, I thought of this but then hoped that I could keep the XP
> built in firewall running ... frankly, I don't even know it is but I
> will check.
>
> In the even that it is, what then must I do?  Turn it off?

No, it would not be a good idea to turn it off. Keep it running but open
port 5900 to allow TightVNC connections.

Also, if you plan to connect via Internet, do not always keep TightVNC
Server running -- run it only when really needed, configure it to prompt
local user to accept incoming connections, or better secure it in some
other way (e.g. tunneling via SSH).

Re: Cannot connect to PC running XP PRO

Frank Bax
[hidden email] wrote:

> Constantin wrote:
>
>>> I then installed TightVNC in another laptop running XP Home and it
>>> works there.
>>>
>>> What must I do to have TightVNC work on XP Pro?
>> I think XP Pro and XP Home should not differ in the way that would
>> affect TightVNC connectivity. In any case, the first think I'd check is
>> firewall settings.
>>

> You know, I thought of this but then hoped that I could keep the XP built
> in firewall running ... frankly, I don't even know it is but I will check.
>
> In the even that it is, what then must I do?  Turn it off?

You turn it off only long enough to prove/disprove that it is causing
the problem.