Quantcast

Can not change tightvnc password.

tofus-88652
I installed tightvnc on my father's computer
to allow me to help him fix problems without
having to go over there.

I created a probably weak password before (which
I've forgotten) and now I want to change it, but
tightvnc won't let me change it.

When the tightvnc service is running, I right-click
on it and select "Properties" to get the configuration
dialog. I enter the new password, click apply and "close,"
but each time I reopen the properties dialog, the password
is the same eight stars (whereas I might have entered a password
of either three or twenty characters).

Also, going through the start menu and into "Tightvnc/
Show User Settings" gives me the same dialog, and attempting
to change the password in that dialog gives me the same results.

I've uninstalled an old version of Tightvnc and installed the new
stable version with no change in this problem. Please tell me
how I can finally change the password?

Re: Can not change tightvnc password.

tofus-88652

RE: Can not change tightvnc password.

Wilson, Ron
it always shows 8 stars no matter what you entered.  also, there is a
limit to pwd size - i don't know what it is, but i've entered very long
pwds and it will accept a shorter substring as valid.

Ron Wilson, Senior Engineer, MPR Associates, 518.831.7546

Re: Can not change tightvnc password.

tofus-88652

Thanks. It looks like I tricked myself into thinking it didn't work. :-)

I'll test it soon.

RE: Can not change tightvnc password.

tofus-88652

Thanks Ron.

I didn't bother to check if the new password actually worked because I was afraid to enable lookback sessions in VNC, so I relied only on counting the number of stars in the password box.

Doh!