Quantcast

Can I install TightVNC Server in my user space on Linux?

Can I install TightVNC Server in my user space on Linux?

Heng Zhou
Hi,

I need to connect to a Linux workstation running Xfce4 UI via TightVNC viewer. But that machine doesn't have TightVNC Server installed, nor do I have write access to the Linux system folders like /usr or /bin, so just a quick question: can I install TightVNC Server in my user space I have write access?

Thanks.

Re: Can I install TightVNC Server in my user space on Linux?

B. S.
I don't mean to not answer your question here, but ...

Why would you want to?

And what I mean is ...

vnc is used to help someone remotely by looking at their screen. (That
someone can be yourself, working remotely with your 'normal'
environment. e.g. vnc from work to your home machine.)

However, as you are not the owner of the machine you're talking about,
you aren't likely to want or need to remotely view the current user
(display :0 user). (Otherwise, ask the owner to install vnc? So you can
help them.)

That doesn't mean you don't want / need to work on the machine,
remotely, I only mean to say viewing that screen won't be particularly
helpful to you.

If you want to work on the machine in your own environment, then you
could ssh into it.

If you want to work on the machine in a video environment such as you
might see when you're sitting in front of it and logged in, then you
could run X remotely. A quick google gives me e.g.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NX_technology or
http://www.vanemery.com/Linux/XoverSSH/X-over-SSH2.html [I've not read
over the pages, but they seem to point towards the right google search
terms.]

So, there are ways to work on the machine, but  for the scenario you
describe, vnc is not useful to you. (You want a screen, and there are
non-vnc ways to get one, and viewing the current user's screen is not
useful to that user - or they would install vnc for you.)

If I'm understanding your message correctly.