CPU overloaded

Matthew Rodgers
I am using an application that runs normally with VNC but uses a lot of CPU cycles.  Because of this, the machine becomes unresponsive, and I am looking for the best way to decrease the load on the CPU coming from VNC but still have it be functional.  The CPU is a Pentium 4 2Ghz.
~Matt

Re: CPU overloaded

Constantin Kaplinsky
Hello Matthew,

> I am using an application that runs normally with VNC but uses a lot
> of CPU cycles.  Because of this, the machine becomes unresponsive,
> and I am looking for the best way to decrease the load on the CPU
> coming from VNC but still have it be functional.  The CPU is a
> Pentium 4 2Ghz.

The most reliable way to decrease CPU load of the TightVNC Server is
installing mirror display driver:

  http://www.demoforge.com/dfmirage.htm

Also, it might be a good idea to configure update detection (Properties
-> Hooks tab).

Other ways to decrease CPU usage include switching to 16-bit colors in
screen properties, and disabling hardware video acceleration.