App pauses until its display window "stamped" onto tightvnc display

App pauses until its display window "stamped" onto tightvnc display

Marc A Criley

I'm using TightVNC 1.2.8 on a Silicon Graphics IRIX box, and things work _almost_ perfectly.

I have an application, though, that spawns off another app, whose display needs to be placed on the TightVNC display. So vncserver was invoked, and the app's DISPLAY variable is correspondingly set. The app's display, created with XtVaCreateWidget() is correctly directed to TightVNC, but I have to have a vncviewer running and then click somewhere in the viewer window to "stamp" down the application's display. Once I've done that everything proceeds normally, but until that is done manually the application is suspended.

I tried doing nothing, as well as not running vncviewer, but something wants that window _manually_ stamped into the display.

The real problem here is that the point of using TightVNC by this app is to have the ability to eliminate having an actual physical display and any operator interaction with it. The GUI is just statusing info for a time-consuming simulation, so most of the time the user only cares about the simulation's results.

Is there something I need to configure (or put in my CreateWidget call) that will direct TightVNC to _just_emplace_the_window_?

I've scanned some of the mailing list archives, to no avail (and it's hard to come up with good search keywords to describe this problem :-).

I would appreciate any advice, and no, I can't go to Linux or a Windows PC, this is stuck on SGs.

Thanks,

Marc A. Criley

RE: App pauses until its display window "stamped" onto tightvnc display

Marc A Criley

Ben,

Thank you for your thought :-)

Being new to TightVNC I don't always know where or what to look for. twm was the problem. I changed to a different window manager, and now all is well.

Thanks.

Marc