Any fixes to RANDR error?

Michael D. Setzer II
I have 3 headless Ubuntu machines with 10.04 and 10.10, and
have seen this error for some time, but it never seemed to cause
an issue that I could see.

Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display ":79.0".

But now I have a program that uses png graphics, and they don't
display. The Xtightvnc server is running on these machines. I'm
not clear on why this issue happens, or how exactly it only effects
png images displayed in tool bars.

The same program displays  fine on my Fedora machines that
have the tigervnc that is the default?

  Michael D. Setzer II -  Computer Science Instructor
  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:[hidden email]
  mailto:[hidden email]
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins
  G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu (Original)
Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
Processing time:  32 years, 290 days, 12 hours, 58 minutes
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC@HOME CREDITS
SETI        10474090.320892   |   EINSTEIN     5577406.240851
ROSETTA      2910550.905419   |   ABC          4933478.318067

Re: Any fixes to RANDR error?

Curran Schiefelbein

Michael,

I’ve been seeing this error for quite some time with tightvnc-1.3.10-r1, when I start Firefox. I’ve made sure to compile tightvnc with libXrandr installed (1.3.1) on the system, but it doesn’t change anything.

Been Googling around for ideas. Some lists suggest disabling Xinerama in the X server, since that seems to disable RANDR support even if the X server loads RANDR successfully. I’ve not been able to figure out how to tell tightvncserver not to load Xinerama, or even how to tell whether it *is* loading Xinerama or RANDR, since ~/.vnc/hostname:1.log doesn’t have any of the typical X server messages. I ran strace –ff to try to find out whether any forked processes opened a more detailed log file, but they don’t.

Anyone know how to get the real log output from the X server started by vncserver?

Curran

smime.p7s (7K) Download Attachment